Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Feeling a little cooped up....


Today's Blog/Website of the Day is Editorial Ass found at http://editorialass.blogspot.com/. "I work in publishing and I like to read things. Herewith: free association on books, nice things I ate, publishing, editing, and other nice things I ate."


TEASER TUESDAYS asks you to:



  • Grab your current read.

  • Let the book fall open to a random page.

  • Share with us two (2) “teaser” sentences from that page, somewhere between lines 7 and 12.

  • You also need to share the title of the book that you’re getting your “teaser” from … that way people can have some great book recommendations if they like the teaser you’ve given!

  • Please avoid spoilers!

From A GENTLEMAN OF FORTUNE by Anna Dean:


I will not suppose for the sake of our cousin's reputation, that she can be his object -- in spite of the look which he gave her as he spoke. But there is no escaping the thought that an unsuitable attachment of his own -- one which his aunt would disapprove, one which might have caused her to disown him -- would also strengthen the case against him: provide, in the eyes of the jury, a reason for his wishing his aunt dead.


This teaser is from a letter Dido is writing to her sister. Set in Regency England, the author's voice is very Jane Austen in language. For some reason, in my mind when I read the character's voice, I hear the actress who played Jane in Pride and Prejudice -- the version with Colin Firth. [pausing a moment to replay the wet shirt scene in memory .... mmmm]


Regarding results from the biopsy -- haven't heard anything yet. Yesterday all test results weren't in; today, no call yet. Perhaps no news is good news, eh? This morning I called the insurance company with a question on one of the statements that are poring in now from the hospital stay and various doctor visits. They answered satisfactorily; they've been a pain about the prescriptions but thank goodness we have it for the other bills. Holy cow.


I don't think anything is truly enticing me to watch tv tonight. Steve has a board meeting; I'll probably have a chance to read.


Yesterday I applied for another job; I won't say more to jinx it other than it's a very good one and it doesn't close until the end of the month.


Not much else going on; same old same old. (sigh)


Much love,

PK the Bookeemonster

No comments: