Saturday, August 22, 2009

Why haven't I read this yet?


Weekly Geeks 2009-32: Why Haven't I Read This Yet?
I think just about every reader has a least one book that they've been meaning to read for awhile (months or even years) but, for one reason or another, they just haven't gotten around to it. Maybe it's a book a friend recommended last year, or a title you've flirted with in a bookstore on more than one occasion, or maybe it's a book that's sitting right there on your bookshelf, patiently waiting for you to pick it up -- but the thought is always there, in the back of your mind: Why haven't I read this yet?This week, tell us about a book (or books) you have been meaning to read. What is it? How long have you wanted to read it? And, why haven't you read it yet?

********************************************



  • The historical mystery category is huge, covering all of history. I've been concentrating my reading pretty much to the medieval period and there are so many authors and series there (it's a big era and I haven't gotten to some I'd like to). I haven't even been able to get other periods I also enjoy such as the Roman histmyst: Lindsay Davis (have read first in series); David Wishart, Ruth Downie, Steven Saylor, John Maddox Roberts, Marilyn Todd, Jane Finnis, Rosemary Rowe and PC Doherty.



  • I have many mysteries by Georgette Heyer but not made time. They're supposed to be so good.



  • Lots of classic mystery authors: Patricia Wentworth, Ruth Rendell, PD James, Rex Stout, Erle Stanley Gardner, Patricia Moyes, Ngaio Marsh, Gladys Mitchell, Josephine Tey, Margery Allingham, Emma Lathen, Caatherine Aird, Ellery Queen, Ed McBain, Lawrence Block, and so forth. I've read some, of course, but not in depth.



  • Dorothy Dunnett (both series) mentioned yesterday. Cults have sprung up around these books and I would like to see if they're that good.



  • Speaking of cults: Diana Gabaldon -- I started the series way back when but I think I left off around book three. I should get back to them but they are also big bricks of books, taking up so much time even though they are good reads.



  • Nonfiction in general. I love history of all kinds; I love political theory and current events. No time to indulge.


So why haven't I read these? I have so many books in the queue, quite often of series I'm reading in order. Or I'm chasing new books -- because you never know, one might be missing a fabulous author if you don't keep up with who's new. Or they're such big books, as mentioned previously, that they would slow me down. Or my mood in what to read next. Or spending too much time on the Internet.


I will say in my favor, this year I've added authors to my rotation that I've meant to get to and finally did and liked very much: Peter Tremayne, Deborah Crombie, Michael Jecks, Bernard Knight, Alys Clare, Kerry Greenwood, Bruce Alexander, Kate Sedley, Deryn Lake... all authors in the "I meant to get to pile" but now take up space from others I mean to get to. What do people do who don't read? Or rather, oh what they're missing!


This weekend: trying to read (you see what I'm up against) and vacuuming and laundry. It's supposed to get to the mid-90s today so we're hunkering down for the most part. I need to go close windows now to keep the cool in.


Have a good Saturday........


Much love,

PK the Bookeemonster

No comments: