Sunday, August 23, 2009

Waddaya mean you don't read?


Today's Blog/Website of the day is Old Bones found at http://www.oldbonesreviews.com/. This is a site for pulp fiction reviews and discussion.

I don't know how I married a non-reader -- it must have been love. Tall, dark and handsome -- my downfall. Sadly, he grew up in a household that didn't and still doesn't value books or reading. He used to read one book a year when Tom Clancy still wrote. He does read his magazines, I'll say that. And he grew up with a love for rock music and also of game playing, first with Dungeons and Dragons with his buddies and then with the very first of the computer games (you know, Commadore 64 and such) on 5 1/2 disk. So he did develop a sense of imagination and some story appreciation.

Reading, however, is an art that needs to be practiced to stay in shape much like exercise. I read everyday and do so very quickly; it takes him longer I think because he reads every single word and contemplates the meaning of each one longer.


It is sad that I can't share my enthusiasm with him but then I also don't have to share my treasures with him nor does he notice when new books join the crowd -- which probably happens more than he thinks bwahahaha!


One thing I look forward to when I get out and about better is to go the bookstore and just browse for however long I like. I miss that. And here's another thing about bookstores -- why don't they carry more magazines about books? I know there's not a whole lot out there but you'd think there'd be a vested interested there.


Whenever possible, I try to give books as gifts or at least gift cards to bookstores. I'm an ambassador or missionary for the pleasures of reading! Join us, there's worlds to explore!


Much love,

PK the Bookeemonster

No comments: