Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Groovin'


Today's Blog/Website of the Day is The Stiletto Gang found at http://thestilettogang.blogspot.com/. They are "Women writers on a mission to bring mystery, humor, and high heels to the world: Evelyn David, Marilyn Meredith, Maggie Barbieri, Evelyn David and Susan McBride."


I didn't get any reading done yesterday so no progress made in THE DEVIL'S DISCIPLES. Maybe tonight will be better.


Do you listen to music when you read? I should; I just forget to put something on when I plunk down and get absorbed in the story. With all the online radio/pandora programs one can program whatever music one likes anymore. Conducive to reading would be the soundtrack channel or classical. About twenty years ago, for two summers I worked in Virginia City, MT, as stage manager for a cabaret show in the old Gilbert Brewery. I had to keep The Brewery open in the afternoons if tourists wanted to look around -- few did because it was sort off the beaten path. This was a hundred year old building with thin walls with the bottoms chewed away, very little lighting, no heating, etc. One summer was very rainy and dark. I had my boom box and my reading and had a wonderful time. I listened to Brahms and Vivaldi while reading MM Kaye and Ayn Rand. It was cold and dark and haunting and lonely and sooo atmospheric. :) Music and reading work very well together.


I do have some records (yes, vinyl) I had gotten super cheap at a library sale of music throughout the centuries that was probably used for a music appreciation class a few millenia ago. I could put on "period appropriate" music for my historical mysteries. If I remembered. Oy (slaps forehead).


I don't think I could listen to rock or anything with words unless it was turned down so low I couldn't make out the lyrics. I'd get too caught up in singing along or be taken out of the story too much. And it would have to be something that I wouldn't have to get up and adjust too much so I get the records are out. Is silence golden?


Saw the I.D. doctor today; I'm off the antibiotic because it is making me ill. Plus I want to be off all medication for a week to see if that will help my kidneys. I haven't been off medication for two months; it's got to be a factor. Just say no to drugs!


I asked my brother to walk Tug today since I still can't do it and Steve will have no time between work and shooting. I think it went well and I sure appreciated it. As they started off Tug was looking back at me as if to say "what is going on?" They came back hot and sweaty and Tug was grinning -- oh you know dogs can do it.


Much love,

PK the Bookeemonster

No comments: