Sunday, April 17, 2011

Just an amazing picture - Must. Get. Nom.


I wound up not doing much on the newsletter yesterday because of my frustration at my technical problems. My computer somehow ate the Excel spreadsheet from which I work. Luckily, I have an online backup system so I didn't have to completely re-invent the wheel but the backups didn't happen when they should have so I had a older version that I did need to update so it wasn't a complete disaster but near enough. By the time I got things fixed my frustration level was high and probably compounded by being tired so I quit to take a nap and then decided I was just done. I have much to make up for today in my work in that arena.


I finished BIT PLAYER by Janet Dawson. I'm not sure how to rate it. I've enjoyed this author for decades and was very glad to see her back after taking eleven years off. And to be honest I'm not sure now how her style was then other than being a good PI procedural. This book had major info dumps. Way too much on the movie business, the collecting of movie memoriabilia, and the history of California. The PI procedural stuff was good -- it takes talking to a lot of people to pick up all the little pieces of a puzzle. I like that part. But I initially felt almost uncomfortable because the PI went overboard in investigating some people with no case, no client, and only because one of the gentlemen suggested her grandmother may have been involved with an actor before she married her husband. Way overboard. So I don't know. I liked it but I also wish it could have been better.


I finally watched the first two episodes of The Borgias yesterday when I was playing hooky from my newsletter. It has all the elements that I enjoy: political and religious intrigue, medieval time period, Rome, plots and counter plots.


Tonight, we add the 5th of the miniseries in April. The Game of Thrones on HBO. This is based on a wonderful epic fantasy series by George R R Martin. Again, has all the elements I like: court intrigue, etc., etc. This series would be one of the first recommendations I would make to anyone interested in SFF except.... the author has had some kind of block for the past decade and hasn't completed the damn thing. Ahem. Back to television. Luckily, it is on at 7 tonight though we'll miss the last bit because then we'll have The Killing at 8 and I'll be taping Upstairs Downstairs at the same time. The Borgias, again, I'll catch on On Demand.


So off to the basement office I go. I've already been dawdling over web surfing.


Much love,

PK the Bookeemonster

No comments: