Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Well, sure



I'm currently reading THE LEPER'S RETURN by Michael Jecks. This is 6th of 30 in series featuring Simon Puttock, West County bailiff, and Sir Baldwin Furnshill, ex-Templar Knight, in  1300's Devon, England. Here is a summary:

When a local goldsmith, Godfrey of Harwood, is found brutally murdered in his home, Furnshill and Puttock are called on to investigate. But when rumors begin spreading that patients from a local leper hospital might have been involved in Godfrey's murder, a series of vicious attacks on the unfortunate victims ensues, culminating in a disastrous fire at the hospital. In a surprising turn of events, Godfrey's daughter Cecily donates a sum to make good the damage. Her connection to one of the lepers is her motive, and only when that connection has been revealed will the truth about Godfrey's murder emerge.

It was published in 1998 and 350 pages.  It came down to this series or the Sister Fidelma. I needed something solid and practical in hist myst for my next read after the silliness of the FIFTY SHADES book.

Work was extra busy; Joel called in so we were short a person -- on the first day back after a three-day weekend. Uff da.

I came home at lunch time to get something going in the crockpot for dinner tonight; just simple beef, onion soup and mushroom soup. I believe we have Deadliest Catch to watch on TV tonight. After that, perhaps I'll read some.

Much love,
PK the Bookeemonster

1 comment:

Michael said...

I'll be interested to see what you reckon of Leper - I wrote that in about 1997, I think, and while I haven't looked at it in a while, I can still remember doing the basic research in the British Library and regularly wincing and thinking 'Yuk'! As usual, the locations and details took ages to research, but it was great fun.

Hope you enjoy the read, anyway. Happy reading!