Thursday, May 31, 2012

What we think at work



I had to set aside the Jecks book because two holds came loose from the library. I'm currently reading BRING UP THE BODIES by Hilary Mantel. This is a sequel to her award winning WOLF HALL. Here is a description:

Though he battled for seven years to marry her, Henry is disenchanted with Anne Boleyn. She has failed to give him a son and her sharp intelligence and audacious will alienate his old friends and the noble families of England. When the discarded Katherine dies in exile from the court, Anne stands starkly exposed, the focus of gossip and malice.At a word from Henry, Thomas Cromwell is ready to bring her down. Over three terrifying weeks, Anne is ensnared in a web of conspiracy, while the demure Jane Seymour stands waiting her turn for the poisoned wedding ring. But Anne and her powerful family will not yield without a ferocious struggle. It follows the dramatic trial of the queen and her suitors for adultery and treason. To defeat the Boleyns, Cromwell must ally with his natural enemies, the papist aristocracy. What price will he pay for Anne's head?

It was just published and has 432 pages.  The author has an interview on Amazon. Here's an excerpt from it:

How is it different from Wolf Hall?
Wolf Hall takes in a huge span of time, describing Cromwell's early life, and reaching back into the previous century, to show the forces that shaped England before he was born. The foreground action of the book occupies several years, ending in July 1535, on the day of the execution of Cromwell's political antagonist, Thomas More.
The action of Bring Up The Bodies occupies only nine months, and within that nine months it concentrates on the three weeks in which Henry's second wife, Anne Boleyn, is arrested, tried and executed for treason. So it is a shorter, more concentrated read. There are no diversions once the plot against Anne begins to accelerate, and the tension builds as her death approaches.
It's quite possible to read Bring Up The Bodies without reading Wolf Hall. It makes sense in its own terms. But I think a reader will get a deeper experience by starting with the first book and seeing the characters evolve.

Though it was a short week, I'm glad it's Friday tomorrow. Yesterday, I said to myself, "Hey it's already Wednesday". Today, I was saying "it's only Thursday? Ugh." 

I made waffles, eggs and hashbrowns for dinner. I always make too much. I don't like waffles but I did have one of these to verify if I still didn't like them. Yeah, I don't like them.

It has rained this evening which has cooled things off and made it a little darker earlier. I like it.

Have a lovely evening.

Much love,
PK the Bookeemonster

No comments: