Monday, December 30, 2013

Ohhhhh.... Monday



Started out not feeling very well today but got better around noon. But oh so tired. I'm definitely going to bed early tonight. Earlier than my usual early-ish.

Both the Cowboys and the Steelers are done for the season. I'm ok with it; I won't be emotionally attached to any team in the playoffs except that the Broncos lose.

I'm not really sure what to read next. I'm not in any rush to finish anything today or tomorrow, I've already read a lot of books this year. Maybe I'm in the mood for something fluffy? I don't know...

Here's what I compiled for 4MA of top ten mystery reads of 2013; this is with notes.

Slaughter, Karin  UNSEEN
I absolutely love and adore Will Trent. I'm so not happy that Slaughter's 2014 book is a stand alone.

Penny, Louise  HOW THE LIGHT GETS IN
Extemely satisfying tying up of loose ends from previous book(s)

Raybourn, Deanna A SPEAR OF SUMMER GRASS
Thought she just nailed the 1920s Africa and strong female character

Harris, C.S.  WHAT DARKNESS BRINGS
My favorite historical mystery series. Regency period. I like the relationship between Sebastian and Hero.

Huber, Anna Lee  THE ANATOMIST'S WIFE
1830s Scotland and good female protagonist

Griffiths, Elly  A DYING FALL
Even though written in present tense, I really like the main character, flaws and all.

Todd, Charles LEGACY OF THE DEAD

The whole series is good, of the approximately 9 of this series I read this year, it was difficult to choose one

Gregory, Susanna  DEATH IN ST JAMES' PARK
She writes two series a year, this one is during the Restoration and maybe a little more complex

Robb, J.D. THANKLESS IN DEATH
Fantastic police procedural set in the future. Thank goodness she writes two per year.

Robertson, Imogen  CIRCLE OF SHADOWS
Set in 1784, a sort of Sherlock/Watson relationship and well plotted.

Bottom:
Trent, Christine  LADY OF ASHES
I can't remember what it was about this book that made me dislike it so much but I remember wishing it would get over with already

Non-mystery
DIVERGENT, INSURGENT and ALLEGIANT by Veronica Roth
At long last, a trilogy worthy of THE HUNGER GAMES. Really.

ENGAGING THE ENEMY, MARQUE AND REPRISAL, TRADING IN DANGER, COMMAND DECISION, VICTORY CONDITIONS by Elizabeth Moon.
Everything I want in a female protagonist space opera. I wish I could read them anew all over again

Susanna Kearsley
Though she has locked into memes of past lives touching the present in every book, I've enjoyed four of her books this year.

Much love,
PK the Bookeemonster  

No comments: