Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Well.... yeah.

Partners in Christmas Crime

Santa's Fed Ex delivery helpers didn't come to my house in time with Dad's Christmas present. At all. So I guess I'm hoping it will come tomorrow. Dammit. I ordered it on December 12th. According to the tracking info, CafePress didn't even start to ship it until December 17th (5 days wasted).  And then it hung out in Denver from the 19th until the 23rd (5 days wasted). I emailed them to share my displeasure.

I'll be putting the turkey in the roaster in about a half hour. I'm planning for dinner between 12 and 1. Steve will go pick up his mom around noon-ish.

I had set my alarm for after 7 this morning to walk the dogs so there would be at least some daylight. They woke me up at 6:40 all raring to go.

After dinner and Steve's mom goes home, I am envisioning a nap, reading, maybe a movie ... just relaxing. Steve's present from me this year was six seasons of Law and Order on DVD. There was a time when that show was on virtually 24/7 but not anymore and Steve mentioned something about not being to find it anymore a while ago. I started with Season Three, when Jerry Orbach joined the cast, we both like him best. 

I'm currently reading on Kindle, A PALE HORSE by Charles Todd. This is 10th of 16 in series featuring Ian Rutledge, a shell-shocked World War I veteran returning to his job at Scotland Yard, in London. Here is a description:
In the ruins of Yorkshire's Fountains Abbey lies the body of a man wrapped in a cloak, the face covered by a gas mask. Next to him is a book on alchemy, which belongs to the schoolmaster, a conscientious objector in the Great War. Who is this man, and is the investigation into his death being manipulated by a thirst for revenge? Meanwhile, the British War Office is searching for a missing man of their own, someone whose war work was so secret that even Rutledge isn't told his real name or what he did. The search takes Rutledge to Berkshire, where cottages once built to house lepers stand in the shadow of a great white horse cut into the chalk hillside. The current inhabitants of the cottages are outcasts, too, hiding from their own pasts. Who among them is telling the truth about their neighbors and who is twisting it? Here is a puzzle requiring all of Rutledge's daring and skill, for there are layers of lies and deception, while a ruthless killer is determined to hold on to freedom at any cost. And the pale horse looming overhead serves as a reminder that death is never finished with anyone, least of all the men who fought in the trenches of France.
It was published in 2007 and has 388 pages. This is a digital loan from the library. 

Merry Christmas, everyone, I hope you are able to spend it happily either with friends, family, or if by yourself that you do something special for yourself.

Much love,
PK the Bookeemonster

No comments: