Monday, May 10, 2010

Some days have more hurdles than others


It's Mailbox Monday! Mailbox Monday gathers together for readers the books that came into the house last week. (feel free to share yours) Warning: Mailbox Monday can lead to envy, toppling TBR piles and humongous wish lists.


Last week for the Kindle I got THE SCENT OF RAIN AND LIGHTNING by Nancy Pickard. This is a mystery author who I think really found her "voice" with her previous books, THE VIRGIN OF SMALL PLAINS. These two books are set in small towns, in the plains states. There's an openness, a vastness, and just a western, middle America tone to them.


A UK release from April got to me last week via Book Depository, REVENGER by Rory Clements. This is the second book in a historical mystery series set in the Elizabethan period. Love that era.


From Paperbackswap.com, came a book that I'd already read but I decided the series was good enough to go into my personal library. This is the second book of a series by C.S. Harris called WHEN GODS DIE, which features Sebastian St. Cyr, Viscount Devlin, an investigator in Regency England.


From the free books at the library's lobby, I picked up Margery Allingham's THE FEAR SIGN which is one of her Campion series and a lovely, lurid Pocketbook edition of a book called BLACK IS THE FASHION FOR DYING by Jonathan Latimer. I love Pocketbooks with their cast of characters in the front with sensational descriptions of each person we're to meet inside.


And that's it. I MUST finish the George. I MUST to read and do nothing else. Though I did watch episode five of The Tudors while having dinner -- ah, Catherine Howard has met her end. On to wife number six!


Much love,

PK the Bookeemonster

No comments: