Sunday, May 30, 2010

Whoa, 3D ... like they're coming right at you!


Sunday morning. The sun is shining and there is a slight breeze. The high today is supposed to be in the 60s but there is a warning of thunderstorms later. I'll be walking Tug in about an hour.


We don't have any plans today other than I will be doing some laundry. I'd like to spend some computer time later. Nothing on tv for me that I can see so maybe I'll do some reading, too. I'll be making for dinner the potato/sausage casserole thingy that Steve likes and that he can have for leftovers on Tuesday when he has a board meeting.


I've read through the local newspaper and checked out some blogs. No complaints and if today is a relaxing day of "what shall I do next?" that would be lovely.


I finished a book last night that I had started a few months ago but set aside for something else. I can't tell you the name of it at the moment, it's on my Kindle, but I finished it so it goes on the list for the month. I'm thinking of reading next another that I had previously started, THE SEPTEMBER SOCIETY by Charles Finch so that I may add one more book to the month. I'm not racking up numbers per se but it just feels better to have read five or more books in a month.


I do have a movie I should watch, Young Victoria. I'll have to play it by ear on that.


**************************************

Let's finish the weekend -- so to speak -- with another book meme: Write six random bookish things about yourself.


1. I don't like reading or writing book reviews so I'm starting my own newsletter so I get what I'm looking for -- a resource of monthly crime fiction releases.


2. I don't like contemporary fiction because I feel there isn't really a point to them. I need the quest: save the kingdom, get the girl, solve the crime.


3. I feel more at ease when I have books around me. I've got book art, a clock that looks like three books side by side, and some actual books decorating my cubicle at work. My cubicle is actually named "The Library" -- my little group of co-worker friends have all named our cubicles.


4. I go by the online nickname of PK the Bookeemonster. I chose this in homage to Sesame Street's Cookiemonster because I love muppets and we were coming up with nicknames years ago on 4MA. It just fit. And I devour books. :) Om nom nom...


5. My favorite subgenre of crime fiction is historical mysteries. I like learning things about history and I believe most authors make their best attempts to be accurate. I like that the crime solvers have to use the technology of their times to solve their crimes. I think the book that really clicked the love for this subgenre was THE INTELLIGENCER by Leslie Silbert and a nonfiction book about the princes in the tower. That was March 2004. I particularly like English time periods (medieval, Renaissance, Reformation, Georgian, Regency, Victorian, Edwardian), American Revolution, and Roman/Greece. I don't like American Civil War or really much of WWII and sooner. (okay that was a whole lot of facts but I'm putting it under the umbrella of "historical mysteries".


6. I also like to read nonfiction. I collect specifically books about Elizabeth I, Shakespeare, and the American Revolution because I like those time periods. I also like all things historical or philosophical. Isaac Asimov was my hero, being so prolific on so many topics and making them completely relatable.


More than you wanted to know, eh? Go on, have a lovely Sunday.


Much love,

PK the Bookeemonster

No comments: