Saturday, December 18, 2010

Ain't that the truth


Finally! I've finished THE BONES OF AVALON by Phil Rickman. It just seemed like I was reading it for forever. The ending was good. Rickman's style is rather free-form so not necessarily something I'd recommend to everyone. The subject was good but the execution was ...different. I really like his Merrily Watkins series but that is more conducive to his style rather than a historical.


I get to choose something new now! I have so many possibilities that my mind will boggle but I love the freedom. :) I don't really have a new release "must read" but I do have some recent purchases that are "strong could reads" like the Barbara Hamilton book THE MARKED MAN, also THE BOOKSELLER'S SONNETS, Maureen Ash's SHROUD OF DISHONOUR. I also have new-ish releases on my Kindle such as Peter Robinson's latest, finishing S.J. Rozan's, A.D. Scott's debut, Tim Hallinen's first in series, and a few non-fictions. Or I could dive into my series reads that I've neglected for too long: Peter Tremayne, Deryn Lake, Bernard Knight, Michael Jecks, Kate Sedley, the most recent Louise Penny, David Roberts, Charles Finch, Kerry Greenwood, Alys Clare, and on and on. I could also add to the series reads stack by taking on new authors that I've been meaning to get to: pretty much all of the Roman authors: Davis, Saylor, Roberts, Downie; David Dickinson, I.J. Parker, Reed/Mayer, Chisholm, Mel Starr, etc. Or series that I've read maybe the first book or two of but never got back to although I've meant to: Pat McIntosh, Bruce Alexander, Rhys Bowen, Ian Morson, Caroline Roe, John Harvey (hey, what's a contemporary police procedural doing here?), Reginald Hill, Christopher Fowler .... And that's just crime fiction. Don't get me started on just plain historicals (Dunnett, Penman, Vantrease...). And most of these I actually already have on hand in the house. So you see my conundrum. :) And just listing the names here makes me happy. I'm a hopeless and happily addicted book addict.


It's pretty dark still this morning at 8-ish, or more like not bright out. Winter weather is in the air. I'm not sure what I'll be doing today. I'll do a little of Premeditated but that is actually a week or so ahead of schedule and I've got the usual house cleaning. But I may need to do a wee bit of shopping and it might even include going with Steve. I know, amazing that he doesn't really have any gun classes to help with today, isn't it? But he will sleep in which means I have time to get some stuff done like walking Tug and so forth. I might take him to the field so he can run freely for a bit. He's sleeping right now near me. He's definitely not a morning dog.


Gotta go get ready for the day. Have a lovely Saturday, all.


Much love,

PK the Bookeemonster


No comments: