Tuesday, December 14, 2010

That is exactly how scary movies start, especially if you're female wearing a negligee.


It has been a long day. My brain and eyes are tired. I'm planning on dealing with dinner, read for a wee bit and then go to bed.


I was reading the lastest issue of Mystery Scene where Carolyn Hart has an article about "comfort reads" and how in tough times, people turn to comfort reads. And then they had a few people list what their comfort read is. And I also thought about it but couldn't come up with anything right away. Mysteries are necessarily the first type of book one thinks of for comfort reads. But I was trying to focus on that genre for this. I perhaps thought of something. There is a book that I re-read from time to time and while I don't think it's perfect or even perhaps an example of excellent writing, I like it a lot. THE DAUGHTER OF TIME by Josephine Tey.


I was also noting that it is getting close to time to list the top ten for the year. And I looked at what I've read in 2010 and found it pathetic. I've only read 57 books thus far. In 2009, I read 121 -- yes, I was unemployed for the majority of the time but I also wasn't reading 24/7. Fifty-seven books -- less than half of the previous year. How ... disappointing. And then I struggled to find more than five tops for a list of ten. The books I read for the most part were enjoyable but to be outstanding ...? About five. That, too, is ... pathetic. And I don't suppose next year will be any better and I want to read a lot more nonfiction. Bah.


With these happy thoughts, I bid you adieu for the evening.


Much love,

PK the Bookeemonster

No comments: