Friday, December 24, 2010

It's beginning to look a lot like ... yeah, whatever


When it comes to watching things on tv, I'm a procrastinator. I just can't sit down and watch it when it airs. I guess I feel I have to do it on my own time (control issues?) or I have to let it simmer in the background of my mind before I'm ready for it. I don't know. So last night I watched the first episode of three of Sherlock on PBS Masterpiece Mystery. The full episodes are available to view online until December 27th. I didn't watch it when it was on tv because 1) I'm not a fan of Sherlock (unless played by Robert Downey, Jr) (sacrilege, I know, for a crime fiction lover) and 2) as much as I love the *concept* of Masterpiece Mystery and other crime shows on tv I usually find them boring and lose interest before it is half over. I don't have ADD or anything but either they are so predictable or move so slowly it's a waste of time when I could be reading. So anyway...


I watched the first episode, A Study in Pink. This is a "re-design" of the Sherlock story in that it is placed in contemporary London which right there makes you if not shudder then be very cautious. But I liked it. The casting was terrific and the best part actually. And the production values were very high. It also had stylized bits that let you know how Sherlock is making his lightening-fast thoughts. Again, I liked it a lot and over the next couple days I'll view the other two episodes before they're taken offline. I still hate sitting there watching something when I could be reading... but there it is.


I also have a movie I need to watch this weekend from Netflix, Winter's Bone. This has been getting really good reviews and it's based on a crime novel by Daniel Woodrell. Briefly, "An unflinching Ozark Mountain girl hacks through dangerous social terrain as she hunts down her drug-dealing father while trying to keep her family intact." I don't know if Steve will want to watch it with me.


I need to do some cleaning today and work on the January issue. I am NOT going out into the retail world today. No freaking way. The energy would be fun if one HAD to be there but I don't have to. I did have to do some emergency Christmas shopping last night but that was done online, thankyouverymuch, that's what it's there for. :)


I think I'll wear purple today.


Much love,

PK the Bookeemonster

No comments: