Thursday, July 9, 2009

Afternoon Malaise


Today's Blog/Website of the day is Irristable Targets found at http://irresistibletargets.blogspot.com/. This is a blog "reaching critical mass about crime (and other) fiction, film, and more with writer and broadcaster Michael Carlson."


Still reading the Patricia Wynn which I am enjoying but must be moving along. I have the David Liss on deck and the new Karin Slaughter holding for me at the library. My cup runneth over which is not necessarily a bad position to be in, of course, but it does add some pressure to the commencing of reading.


I'm going to spend a little time this afternoon updating my "little black book" of book releases in the next few months. I keep this book -- yes it's black -- of all the books I've read each month (going back a few years). I've also added on the facing page a list of books I'm interested in that are published in that month so I can check on availability via the library or other means if that is not available. I know I've bookmarked in Amazon some authors I love that are having new books later in the year but not marked them down yet on paper. Obsessive? No, just organized so I don't miss anything.


I read about a new historical novel today that I'll have to investigate more about:
THE ROAD TO JERUSALEM: Book One of the Crusades Trilogy by Jan Guillou (Author), Steven T. Murray (Translator). It is from Sweden and the translator is the same one as did Steig Larsson's books so it will be well done. I love good books about the Crusades.


Tomorrow I have an appointment with the infection doctor to check up on my cellulitis and the allergic reaction. Monday, I have a followup with the doctor I saw last Friday -- I think she's just curious; she DID say it was the worse case of cellulitis she'd ever seen so I think I'm a learning experience for her. Yay, me, I think not. A medical/scientific wonder. And NO, there have been no photos taken so don't even ask. I'm getting better, just have to monitor my energy each day and making progress. Enough with the illness.


Nothing on tv for me tonight. We may watch the movie Wanted (Angelina Jolie, James McAvoy) unless Steve wants to watch his shooting shows that fall on Thursday. Otherwise, I'll be upstairs reading.


You know -- side note here -- sometimes M&Ms are just the right thing. Chocolate (I like both the regular milk chocolate and the dark chocolate), a touch of crunch or melty if you want. And sometimes just a couple will hit the spot for a touch of sweet. And I had a lovely lunch a while ago of a salad with sweetpeas and pine nuts and bulgar wheat on the side. So it balances. :)


Tug is sleeping on the floor beside me. I'll probably lay down later with the fan on as its getting hot out. Mornings are my favorite but sometimes afternoons are okay too.


Much love,

PK the Bookeemonster

2 comments:

Reg / Steve said...

Hi PK, thanks for your confidence in my work! I recommend the first of the "Arn trilogy," as it's known in Sweden. They made a couple of movies out of the books which won best movie of 2007 from moviegoers. The 2nd volume is even better. (Why do I keep saying that -- about Stieg too?) And I sympathize with the cellulitis -- weird disease, I had it last summer and one leg swoll all up like an old-fashioned dining-room table leg, took months to get over it. Get well soon! Steve

PK the Bookeemonster said...

Cool! I very much look forward to reading it. My library doesn't have it yet so I'm contemplating my options. :) And I've read the 2nd Millenium Trilogy -- sooo good. I look forward the 3rd one when it comes out.
Yup, that's the disease. Sucks, and I can believe the recovery time; it's a nasty one.
I have to say, it sounds like you love what you do ... that is wonderful. And we love what you do too so even better! :) DON'T STOP.
Much love,
PK the Bookeemonster