Friday, July 3, 2009

Do too much/do nothing day


Today's Blog/Website of the Day is one listed previously, but there are screen shots of Tim Burton's film of ALICE IN WONDERLAND that just have to be seen. http://bookpage.wordpress.com/2009/07/02/a-first-look-at-the-all-new-alice/#more-841. With Tim Burton, it's sure to be twisted. I think it will be released next March.


I was just not in the mood to finish MARCH VIOLETS right now so I'm currently reading TO KILL OR CURE by Susanna Gregory, 13th in series of 15 featuring Matthew Bartholomew, physician, and his colleague Brother Michael, in 14th century Cambridge, England. Here's a description:


A murderous town-and-gown conflict propels the action. The various university colleges have been keeping students' rents low so they can afford their academic fees, but avaricious landlords now want to triple the rents, a threat to the colleges' existence. Meanwhile, Bartholomew and his three fellow Cambridge physicians find their income drained off by the chicanery of phony medicus Richard Arderne, out to make a killing healing the sick and raising the dead by waving a supposedly magic feather. Three grisly murders add to Brother Michael and Bartholomew's woes.

It was published in 2008 and has 448 pages. I love this series though it does tend to go on sometimes when you want to cut to the chase and solve the thing


I'm QM-ing the current read on 4MA these next few days. I hope the questions will go okay and that there will actually be discussion generated. Of course, the holiday may slow things down.


Had a doctor's appointment (my creatinine is still elevated but with all the antibiotics I've had in me they're not too worried yet -- and of course everyone has to see my mummy foot now that the swelling is going down), had to stop at post office to mail a couple paperbackswap books that should have gone out two weeks ago, and then got groceries at Walmart this morning so I was very tuckered by the time we got home and I've been taking it very easy this afternoon with my leg elevated and drinking lots of water.


Today has felt like a Saturday. Steve has today off and we're just lazing around. A nice thunderstorm blew through a little while ago. There's the occasional fireworks going off around us (we live outside city limits). But mostly the neighborhood seems deserted -- did most people go camping? Steve will walk Tug in a little bit and I'll be making taco salad for dinner.


I don't think there's anything special on tv tonight though on Sunday is the new Agatha Christie on Masterpiece Theatre with Matthew Macfadyen in it. A must see for that. And the Miss Marple doesn't look to irritating this time. I enjoy Agatha Christies but I don't think I've ever read a Miss Marple; I've preferred Hercule Poirot stories. Add it to the to-be-read stack.


That's it.


Much love,

PK the Bookeemonster

No comments: