Thursday, July 16, 2009

Is it just me or is it warm?


Today's Blog/Website of the Day is Lori's Reading Corner found at http://lorisreadingcorner.blogspot.com/. This is a bibliophile.


I finished BLIND JUSTICE by Bruce Alexander. It proved to be a pretty good locked room mystery and I will be reading more of this series. I'll be starting THE DEVIL'S COMPANY by David Liss probably this evening. It is 3rd of 3 in series featuring Benjamin Weaver, a Jewish ex-pugilist hired by gentry to pursue debtors and thieves, in 18th Century London. Here's a description:


The estimable Benjamin Weaver, an 18th-century London thieftaker, finds himself working reluctantly for a mysterious gentleman, Jerome Cobb. On Cobb's orders, Weaver takes employment as a security man at the British East India Company's headquarters, where he tries to obtain information about the death of one Absalom Pepper, of whom virtually nothing is known. To keep Weaver in line, Cobb has blackmailed Weaver's friend Moses Franco, close confederate Elias Gordon and his beloved uncle Miguel. As usual, several beautiful women play roles in the complicated plot, which involves industrial spying and the international textile trade.

This was published this month and has 384 pages. What I love about this author's books is that I learn something not only historical but also of business/finance world as well. The first book in this series, A CONSPIRACY OF PAPER, won the 2001 Barry Award for Best First Novel, 2001 Edgar Award for Best First Novel, 2001 Macavity Award for Best First Novel, and was a Finalist 2001 Anthony Award for Best First Novel.


I took Tug for a short walk this morning. I anticipated it being only about 15-20 minutes but at my slow pace it turned into 35. I elevated my leg afterward and its feeling better now. Hopefully, this will be enough of a walk for the beast so Steve won't have to do it this evening in the heat. I also did some good cleaning today, mopping the kitchen floor which needed it badly and did some laundry. Pat on the head for me. :)


I got a call from the doctor this afternoon that my lab work from a couple days ago is still a concern so I'm going in for a scan of my kidneys at the crack of dawn tomorrow. Basically, the antibiotic to cure the cellulitis has probably done some damage. Oh yay. But then the reward for good behavior tomorrow is my haircut in the afternoon. Woo hoo!


Well, it would be nice to hear from the Chamber of Commerce tomorrow but I more anticipate it next week. This weekend is Big Sky State Games -- Steve will help run a gun match Saturday morning, I believe -- and SummerFair for the Yellowstone Art Museum. I haven't decided yet if I'll check that one out. It's supposed to be in the mid-90's this weekend. For some reason, they ALWAYS choose the hottest weekend of the entire summer for these events. Just lucky, eh?


Much love,

PK the Bookeemonster

No comments: