Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Ta Da! Hurray! It's Hump Day!


Today's Blog/Website of the Day is from the lighter side of mysteries, Killer Hobbies found at http://killerhobbies.blogspot.com/. This is another author collaboration blog featuring Scrapbooking - Joanna Campbell Slan, Miniatures - Camille Minichino/Margaret Grace, Needlework - Monica Ferris, Pets - Linda O. Johnston, Quilting & Rubber-Stamping - Terri Thayer, and Crocheting - Betty Hechtman.


Almost done with the Bruce Alexander, BLIND JUSTICE. Sir John Fielding is a man from real history who has shown up in at least two historical mystery series, this one and the one by Deryn Lake. It is interesting to read the difference in their takes of his character. In Lake, he's a bit more jovial and all knowing while in Alexander his life is a bit more difficult.


I heard about an interesting historical mystery today via Library Journal review:
CITY OF SILVER by
Annamaria Alfieri. "The city officials of Potosí, the largest silver producer of the New World, stand accused by the King of Spain of watering down the silver coins used all over the world to pay Spanish bills. The King sends his Visitador to prosecute the wealthy nobles responsible, and at the same time the Grand Inquisitor arrives to ferret out heretics and witches. His eyes are firmly fixed on Mother Maria Santa Hilda, the abbess of a convent where herbal medicine is practiced and where the mayor's daughter has died of poisoning. Trying to find the murderer places the abbess and all she cares for in mortal danger. VERDICT In this nail-biting debut thriller set in 1650 in a little-known Peruvian city where no one is exempt from the wrath of the king and the cruel hand of the Church, an intriguing era in Latin American history comes alive under Alfieri's sure hand. Highly recommended for historical fans." And my library has it on order so I have it on hold to see if it's worth it.


I had my manicure this morning. Overall, I enjoyed it, especially the hand massage and lotions. I think my cuticles will be a work in progress and damn if I didn't smudge my polish within a half hour of leaving (it takes about 2 hours to set apparently). I didn't do anything fancy, just get the nails in shape with barely anything extending past the finger and a little light pink/flesh colored polish. I just want healthy, pretty hands and nails and it was a nice treat. I may go back in two to three weeks. I haven't ventured to pedicure land yet but I hear once you've done it, you're hooked. Yikes. I've never liked my feet so maybe it's time to treat them well too.


Steve goes shooting tonight. Since he doesn't have time to walk Tug -- and Tug was going bonkers last night his walk was so late in the evening -- that I drove him to a field this afternoon and let him run around a bit and jump in the ditch and chase after a kid on a mountain bike for about 25 minutes. I hope it will suffice.


I may watch Ghosthunters International tonight with my French Bread pizza or I may just read and listen to music.


Much love,

PK the Bookeemonster

No comments: