Sunday, July 12, 2009

Life is too short


Today's Blog/Website of the Day is Poe's Deadly Daughters found at http://poesdeadlydaughters.blogspot.com/. It's an author collaboration featuring posts by Sandra Parshall, Darlene Ryan, Sharon Wildwind, Julia Buckley, Elizabeth Zelvin, and Lonnie Cruse.


Yesterday, I ditched my vacuum that has been giving such headaches for over a year. Done. with. it. So I got a (lowest level) Dyson and love it. Life is too short and too filled with more important things than dealing with defective appliances.


I didn't get a walk in yesterday but I took one this morning. It was lovely but getting warm-ish and of course my face -- I'm thinking left over from the allergy thing and the current drug I'm on -- turned my face bright red. I didn't take Tug along because of the bunny factor out there and I wanted to concentrate on my pace rather than his.


I'm making good progress in UNDONE by Karin Slaughter. It is keeping my interest but it SO not for everyone. Violence done unto females is very graphic. Shockingly so, but that is what happens in the world out there and what some people face everyday.


So we watched the DVD Wanted last night. James McAvoy is a good actor but wasted in this movie. Angelina Jolie got paid big bucks to show up on set and be filmed.


Dear Hollywood,

I want to watch a good story about people. I don't want to roll my eyes every few minutes because of stupid lines rather than interesting dialogue. I don't need a sledgehammer to get a theme or message (fathers and sons, looms and webs, etc...oy, we get it). I don't want to close my eyes so much because of the gore factor -- in some shape or form I paid to actually watch the thing, not do it behind lids. Stunts are good but over the top is waaaaay over the top and becomes ridiculous - use their impact sparingly. I'm tired of angst, I'm tired of brain-numbing stupid comedy, I'm tired of explosions and crashes and bullets popping out of foreheads, and searching for some speck of value in the time that I've spent viewing. Why can't you make good movies?


And you wonder why we turn to other forms of entertainment. And don't get me started on television.


Thank God for books.


Much love,

PK the Bookeemonster

No comments: