Thursday, July 2, 2009

Any good books out there?


I'm thinking that MARCH VIOLETS may not be suiting my reading mood. I haven't really being drawn to pick it up within the last 24 hours. I think it's the voice of the book; I love the Berlin WWII setting but it is so over the top tough guy/PI/slang ... I've been reading just about anything but so that's a sign I need something else for the reading taste buds. I've browsed through the latest Mystery News that showed up while I was in the hospital. Doing some personal development reading. I may have to face that fact that I must choose again. I have lots of books but nothing jumping out yet. Any good books out there?


Today's Blog/Website of the Day is Medieval-Novels found at http://www.medieval-novels.com/. "We are dedicated to making medieval-novels.com the most comprehensive list of novels set between 500 and 1600 AD (more or less) ever put together."


Poor Tug. Steve stopped by from work on the way to a job site to put the garbage can back in the garage and bring me the mail so got Tug all wound up for a walk which I cannot accomodate. So he's all but aroo-ing his sad fate and mean momma who's laying on the couch doing NOTHING but stare into that machine again.


I SWEAR med techs have it in for my veins. This morning, I had to provide blood for doctor's appointment tomorrow. Now when I was admitted to the hospital, they blew out the good veins on the right arm, the so-so veins on the left arm, and finally got it in my left hand which isn't ideal and is painful=ish. They just made hamburger of the veins in my arms. STILL have black and blue marks a week later. So this morning .... same story. Part of the problem is that for two decades, I donated blood because I'm type O negative. They don't tell you that it creates all kinds of scar tissue that makes it difficult later on should you happen to need those veins for yourself; they just want your blood. Oy.


I don't think there's anthing on tv for me tonight so maybe I'll find something to read amongst my precious' (voice of Gollum). :)


Much love,

PK the Bookeemonster

3 comments:

pattinase (abbott) said...

Same thing happened to me with March Violets-disappointed because I had heard about this Berlin Trilogy for years.

Jen Forbus said...

Well, I haven't read MARCH VIOLETS, but I have had a rather incredible run with good books lately. I'm waiting for the big let-down to come along. I loved ANOTHER MAN'S MOCCASINS. Have you read Craig Johnson's Walt Longmire series? A DARK HORSE is waiting for me, but not sure when I'll get that one in. I also really enjoyed Pelecanos' THE WAY HOME and Chris Grabenstein's MIND SCRAMBLER (I just love John Ceepak). I finished BREATHING WATER, which is excellent but not out until mid-August. It's the third Poke Rafferty by Tim Hallinan, so if you haven't read the first two( A NAIL THROUGH THE HEART and THE FOURTH WATCHER), those would be good ones, too. Another one I'm looking forward to reading when I can squeeze it in is THE SECOND DEATH OF GOODLUCK TINUBU (the sequel to A CARRION DEATH).

I hope your veins recover from this experience!

PK the Bookeemonster said...

Patti - you're right; I've heard such good things for years and I'm sooo disappointed. The right setting; the wrong voice (for me).

Jen -- I've read the first two of Johnson. He's one of a very few who get this area right (Wyoming/Montana). I've got 10 books on hold at the library but they're not due for a while. I'm in this weird must have substance but be extremely diverting mood to take my mind off things. (sigh)

Yeah, I'm hoping the color (all over but especially leg) will eventually fade and I get my muscle tone back or not have permanent damage. This is been one strange experience. Ugh.

Thanks, both of you, it's good to know people are out there. :)