Tuesday, September 9, 2008

090809

Sometimes I feel this war inside me. I love being very business like: reading the Wall Street Journal and understanding world topics, working on grants, start a business, and so forth. The other part of me wants to completely give in and live the life of a creative: to write books or at least write reviews of books that I read, be a film critic, sing, knit, etc. And there isn't enough time in a day after the job takes a chunk of your awake time to indulge in trying to make both happen. Or maybe I'm just not coordinated enough or just plain too lazy to make it all happen. But then I have this other problem: I don't follow through. That one is a biggie and always happens. I may even get started on a project but within a couple days I've gone off on another urge, another mood, and I just cannot make myself finish when I'm not feeling it anymore. It is very frustrating.

Work: oh I dunno, maybe I'll keep going on the PVP annual report and do things for the upcoming concert.

Reading: about halfway through THE BLACK PATH by Asa Larsson. It is good and actually flows pretty well for a translation. I don't know if I mind the flashbacks within the flashbacks of the background of the victim and who I suppose is the main suspect. There is actually less narrative of the police procedural than the background meanderings of some characters. Does this make the book more meaningful? More like literature? It is definitely a crime story: a woman is killed and the police are attempting to find whodunnit and motive. It doesn't seem that big but it is almost 400 pages in length and I haven't exactly been devoting a lot of time to reading lately. Also listening to SECRET SERVANT by Daniel Silva in the car. The deed has been done: the operation that Gabriel was uncovering just happened -- they got the girl. This will probably take some time to get through since I only listen to it while driving which is a little less than an hour a day. I suppose I should be glad that we live on the other side of town from where I work so that I have 25 minutes at a go to listen to the story.

TV: has some possibilities but I don't know if I'll commit. PBS's Frontline has an interesting documentary it looks like about the Iraq war. AMC is showing The Magnifient Seven, a great classic movie. A&E has The First 48 which I like because it is real crime solving. We'll see; I should read.

Otherwise, not much on the schedule for today. I'd like to stop by the library to pick up a hold and just get a being-surrounded-by-books fix. I have to have to have to work on the presentation for the MNA conference.

Back to reading: Once I finish the above, the next few up to read are all library books (oh my poor personal TBR that I want to read, they get so ignored). Michael Harvey's second in his PI series, THE FIFTH FLOOR, is due back the soonest. I've got another 14-day book that would probably come next if I read it, a debut called A CURE FOR NIGHT by Justin Peacock -- a legal crime fiction getting good reviews but who knows if I'll be in the mood? Then the next in a few series I'm following: SHADOWS IN BRONZE by Lindsey Davis, THE WATER ROOM by Christopher Fowler, and ALL SHALL BE WELL by Deborah Crombie. Of course, I'm following a LOT of series so that could fill out the year I'd bet. Ha! Yeah, I should read tonight; two solid hours would do wonders, 8 to 10 (if Tug settles down with me instead of against me).

Much love,
PK the Bookeemonster

No comments: