Saturday, September 20, 2008

092008

Saturday

Movie: We watched No Country For Old Men. Good, of course. Unnerving in that there was no soundtrack at all. Interesting to see the actress playing Carla Jean with her Southern accent when the actress herself is very Scottish. Didn't like the ending but I understand it mirrors the book quite closely on that. The Coens are good, very good.

TV: watched taped episodes of Say Yes to the Dress last night. Tonight, nothing really but there are a couple movies on, American Gangster and Across the Universe. May or may not, I don't know.

Reading: Didn't get any done last night, nor did I audition so I'll do that now and ya'll can be in on it as I go.

First up in evaluation, Philip Kerr's MARCH VIOLETS. I actually did read the first chapter last night in an attempt to make a choice but then got too tired to continue. I liked the first chapter though WWII isn't my favorite-est time period but is intriguing in it's newness to me. Lots of raves. First person narrative which I like. It's not a thick book so it will go quickly. This one has strong possibilities as a book to take along on the trip.

Next is ... SHADOWS IN BRONZE by Lindsey Davis. The second in the series of Roman histmyst that has been going for quite a long time but I only started last month. There are tons of histmyst set in Roman times and I actually own a few but not really settled into them until the Davis in August. The HBO series Rome was fabulous and helps to picture some things. This series is a little lighter in tone that I don't think I'm in the mood for right now so I don't think I'll choose this one yet.

Another option ... is Ian Rankin's STRIP JACK. 4th of 19 in series according to stopyourekilling.com. I'm trying to read this series in order. I've always known this was around and actually own a few of the books but I just didn't put it on my radar much over the years very similarly to the Reginald Hill, Archer Mayer, Jane Haddam, Colin Dexter, Ed McBain, Lawrence Block, Ruth Rendall, PD James, etc, etc., and now have very many to read -- not necessarily a bad thing. First published in 1992, the first page reads well; the reviews both professional and amateur on Amazon are saying it's not one of his best but it was early on in his career so that's to be expected. This one is a definite maybe. Gotta plug along on that series a little more seriously. Putting it on the possibles pile.

Next is ... Susanna Gregory's THE MARK OF A MURDERER. 11th of 13 in series featuring Matthew Bartholomew, physician, and his colleague Brother Michael, in 1355 Cambridge, England. I'm smiling as I pick up this book because I love this world and these characters so much. That should tell me something right there. Plus I haven't read one in a few months so I'm due. Looking inside. After reading a few pages, this one is the strongest possibility to take care of my histmyst mood. On the possibles pile on the top.

The other I brought with me is another Roman histmyst, Steven Saylor's ROMAN BLOOD. 1st of 12 in his series. I like the more serious tone and I like that there are a lot to read in this series. I like Roman, good time period, but I'm not going to look at it this time though.

Yesterday I brought along one of Michael Jeck's histmyst series as I got my car lubed. I have the first in the series and I've tried to read it many times; its a little dry so I've struggled a little. I love the time period and there are many many to read. I thought I might start later in the series to see if it catches with me. It's 22nd of 26 in series, titled THE MALICE OF UNNATURAL DEATH. It seemed to feature more real history court intrigue than the previous ones which I thought would grab me more. It's a really long book though so just by that I may not go with it right now.

So now I'm down to three in this audition: the Susanna Gregory, Ian Rankin, and Phillip Kerr. I want to read them all of course. But there can be only one -- I do read more than one book at a time but not, of course, simultaneously, hence my problem.

While I'm thinking, I hear Steve is moving around upstairs. I like my Saturday and Sunday mornings because I have them to myself pretty much as Steve likes to sleep in. His alarm will start to go off at 8 am but he hits the snooze button for another two or three hours after that. Why would anyone torture themselves that way? Ah well. On Saturday mornings he typically goes into to work to do some scrapping but I don't believe he is today. He DOES have to mow the lawn. Anyway, on Saturday mornings he likes to listen to NPR -- specifically Click and Clack and the game show thing afterward. It amazes me in a way that he liked NPR; he's not the type. I like NPR for the news -- All things Considered and others. Anyway, I hear him up there listening. We expect his cousin to stop by today to pick up his car trailer that we've got stored on our basketball court that we don't use. I hope his visit is short and I'm gone while he's here.

Today I have to get all laundry done, vacuum, etc. and maybe run to Borders. The coupon is for two days only, yesterday and today, and the DVD would be a good present for Steve. I don't want to use much gas though because I want it as full as possible for the trip tomorrow. I have limited funds to work with for meals and gas. I am still pleased with my clothing purchases yesterday; no buyer's remorse, so that's a good thing. I have to figure out what to wear on what days for this thing. Hmmmm.

I don't know yet what to have for dinner tonight. Steve will be on his own for the next four nights so this may be the last solid meal for him in that time. He'll live on fried bologna and cheese sandwiches which he loves and maybe brats. Or take out.

Back to Reading: This is a tough decision actually. I'll take all three with me of course; one must always have back ups even for a three day tour.
The decision: I think I'll go with the Gregory first. The others will follow hopefully after that.

Much love,
PK the Bookeemonster

No comments: