Sunday, September 14, 2008

091408

Well, I feel like I lost a day yesterday working the concert stuff so I'm getting caught up with what's happening in the world.

The bad news: my right was swollen yesterday morning when I woke and today as well. Wish I knew what the hell this was. I'm going to make an appointment with my eye doctor as soon as I can get in, hopefully tomorrow.

Work:Yesterday went well, I think. Only a handful of Sponsor-A-Chair sponsors showed up for the appreciation rehearsal brunch-thing though the feedback was that they'd like to have this be a perk for every concert. Oh boy. Actually I agree it should be a perk for them because it's a good idea and opens up the opportunity for more visits and more giving but it does add more to my plate every concert. I got to see most of the rehearsal myself. Sounded fantastic and I am amazed by Valentina Lisitsa, our guest artist. I bought her cd; I'm glad she provided some to sell. The box office stuff went mostly okay although I am new to it and there were so many exceptions and problems other than just selling straight tickets that I had to call in help quite frequently but I'll be better as each time happens. The concert was incredible and we sold beyond Sandi's happy point of 1100. I had to leave early to go to the museum to finalize the after-concert reception so I missed Valentina's two encores, damnit. Ah well. The reception went well with pretty good attendance and Sandi was happy with it so scoring with the boss is a good thing. I got home around 11:40. Long day and my eye was bothering me the whole day but it's past so let's do it all over again next month! This is the next concert in October: http://www.billingssymphony.org/0809season/oct11_harvest_home.html.

Reading: Finally finished the Asa Larsson. I liked it but maybe not as raving as other reviews I've read about THE BLACK PATH. Rich and having depth, I would read more by this author. I'm surprised Maddy liked it as much as she did as there is an element of woo-woo to it. Next up is the new Tess Gerritsen, THE KEEPSAKE. Here's the description from Publisher's Weekly:
When medical examiner Isles studies an X-ray scan of Madame X, which everyone assumes is a newly discovered Egyptian mummy, at Boston's Crispin Museum, she realizes the mummy isn't a priceless artifact but a recent murder victim, gruesomely preserved. Rizzoli focuses the police investigation on Dr. Josephine Pulcillo, a young archeologist recently hired by the museum who may have something to hide. More victims soon turn up, including a tsantsa (shrunken head) in a hidden museum chamber and a corpse resembling a well-preserved bog body in Pulcillo's car. After Pulcillo disappears, Rizzoli and Isles must scramble to find her before she becomes another trophy in the killer's growing collection.

Her website is www.tessgerritsen.com and has great additional features such as a book trailer along with an excerpt of this book. Here's the first paragraph:
DR. MAURA ISLES could not decide whether to stay or to flee. She lingered in the shadows of the Pilgrim Hospital parking lot, well beyond the glare of the klieg lights, beyond the circle of TV cameras. She had no wish to be spotted, and most local reporters would recognize the striking woman whose pale face and bluntly cut black hair had earned her the nickname “Queen of the Dead”. As yet no one had noticed Maura’s arrival, and not a single camera was turned in her direction. Instead, the dozen reporters were fully focused on a white van that had just pulled up at the hospital’s lobby entrance to unload its famous passenger. The van’s rear doors swung open and a lightning storm of camera flashes lit up the night as the celebrity patient was gently lifted out of the van and placed onto a hospital gurney. This patient was a media star whose newfound fame far outshone any mere medical examiner’s. Tonight Maura was merely part of the awestruck audience, drawn here for the same reason the reporters had converged like frenzied groupies outside the hospital on a warm Sunday night. All were eager to catch a glimpse of Madam X.

I'm also still listening to the audiobook of Daniel Silva's SECRET SERVANT. I was thinking about bringing it in to listen to today to rest my eyes. We'll see.

TV: The Steelers play tonight and Dallas tomorrow night. Otherwise, I don't think I want to go out of my way to watch anything.

I had a 1-1/2 hour break yesterday afternoon to go home and eat something and change into evening clothes but I spent about 30 minutes of it at a book sale at a church. I had accidently happened upon this sale last year and kinda went crazy and didn't exactly clean them out but they were very happy with me. This year, someone must have cleaned them out ahead of me; there wasn't much there and I left with one bag and not even completely full at that. I was rather disappointed but also knowing I had so little time to spend there, I was all right with it. The Friends of the Library sale should be coming up soon in October.

There's definitely a nap in my future. I do have to do some weekend cleaning today, definitely laundry, as much as I can. I have to walk Tug this afternoon. I had a dinner planned but I'm wondering if Steve wants to have something fun like pizza or a calzone while watching the football game.

So back to work tomorrow; luckily we have Friday off to make up for working Saturday. I hate to wish time away but I'm already looking forward to next weekend.

Much love,
PK the Bookeemonster

No comments: