Sunday, September 21, 2008

092108

I'm writing from my hotel room in Helena, MT. Helena is west and north of Billings about 260 miles, and is the capital. Lots of jobs up here in the upper range because of the government. My sister went to college here. I was last here a little under 20 years ago for a funeral for the father of a fellow player while I was a Virginia City Player. Here endeth the trivia of Helena. I kinda had a headache when I got to my room but aspirin took care of that. The only thing that I've noticed that I've forgotten is a mouse for my laptop. Not completely necessary but would make the presentation go a little easier. I wonder if I could borrow one from someone. I don't really want to venture into town and have a hard time finding my way just to purchase that. I've got three days.

The drive up was okay. It rained a bit and the highway was under construction a couple times in places but no problems. Used less gas that I thought which is a good thing. I'm staying at the Red Lion Colonial hotel. The room is pretty nice. Single double bed and all the usuals of a hotel but no minifridge. A nice desk area which will come in handy the next couple days. I'm here, as I've mentioned previously, for a Montana Nonprofit Association convention. Last year the convention was in Billings which was very convenient. I had never been before and don't want to miss anymore. I think next year it will be in Missoula. Tomorrow is the pre-convention seminars so not everyone will be here until tomorrow for the next day's events. I'm here on Sunday because it will start in the morning tomorrow and I have bad night vision so I wanted to be sure to get here before dark. I'm speaking on Wednesday so my fees were comped so might as well attend all three days but the cost of the hotel, meals, and gas to get here are on me. Actually, to save money I'm going to do as many meals as they are providing as I can.

So, I'm here in the hotel room with the Steelers game about to end -- badly for the Steelers unfortunately. No defense whatsoever. Poor Steve. Tonight the Cowboys will play so I'll have to find what channel they're on. Otherwise I brought my books, I have my laptop. I miss being home but I need to relax and enjoy private time this is bringing me tonight. Then I need to take advantage of the networking and connection I could make here.

Reading: Brought the Susanna Gregory with me and the Ellen Crosby. Did I do the blurb on this? Susanna Gregory, THE MARK OF THE MURDERER, 480 pages, copyrighted 2006, 11th in series :
It is February 1355, and Oxford has exploded in one of the most serious riots of its turbulent history. Fearing for their lives, the scholars flee the city, and some choose the University at Cambridge as their refuge. They don’t remain safe for long, however—within hours of their arrival, two people have died. When Bartholomew and Brother Michael investigate the deaths, they uncover evidence that the Oxford riot was part of a carefully orchestrated plot. With the Archbishop of Canterbury about to honor Cambridge with a visitation, and a close colleague accused of a series of murders that Bartholomew is certain he didn’t commit, the race is on to bring a ruthless killer to justice.

Author's website can be found at http://www.matthewbartholomew.co.uk/. I also brought a handful of magazines. Listened to a fluffy audio on the drive up but it helped to have something soft and easy: NIGHTS IN RODANTHE by Nicholas Sparks. The movie looks good only because of Gere and Diane Lane so I was intrigued. Didn't finish it this trip but will on the way home Wednesday and I have the Ruth Rendell as backup then.

So the restaurant in the hotel is closed tonight and the one across the street looks expensive-ish so I found a Wendy's. Good ol' Wendy's. Then hustled back to the hotel room.

Wow, Miami won a game. Holy schmoley over the Patriots even. Dang, Denver won. Indianapolis lost, whoo hoo! Man, just let the Cowboys win tonight. 3 and 0, baby.

Okay, I guess that's it for now. Talk to ya later...
Much love,
PK the Bookeemonster

No comments: