Tuesday, September 23, 2008

092308

Tuesday


The seminars today were okay. The first was on planned giving ... the second half on bequests was better than the first half. The second one was on governance that I thought would be a little different. One of the interesting plenary sessions was they're having a thing called Spotlight on the Candidates. This afternoon they had the candidates for Attorney General come talk ... specifically to answer two questions: what nonprofit experience have they had in their professional or personal life and what three things as attorney general would you do to help the Montana nonprofit sector. One candidate came prepared and gave a good speech (they had 15 minutes to talk and then 15 minutes of Q&A) the other was pretty obviously winging it. That pretty much decided who I was going to vote for as I took that as an indication of how they were approaching the job. Tomorrow morning we have the governor candidates; I don't really want to miss that. I'll do the breakfast tomorrow and the candidates but after that I have to skip the morning session to work on my presentation because I didn't get much chance tonight. I debated about whether to attend the reception at 6 to 7:30 tonight -- saying I should read my stuff so I can have it fresh in my mind but then the reception would give an opportunity to do some networking and I could turn the appetizers into a meal and save a little cash. Well, I went because I could get a right with someone; I didn't want to drive because I don't know Helena's streets and it would be dark. Well, then of course I was stuck until the driver was ready to come back ... so I didn't get back until 9:00. Made some good contacts I think but the evening was shot for doing much preparing. (sigh). So tomorrow morning I'll have two hours to focus on the presentation. I ran into Cindy again today who had given me advice on how to deal with the work situation. She is being really concerned and supportive it's pretty amazing.



Got back to the hotel room, called Steve, took a hot hot shower to relax, checked email and now it's almost 10:00 and tomorrow's breakfast begins at 7. I'm a little bit nervous now about how tomorrow will go but life will continue afterward no matter how it will turn out.

So tonight, no fun reading, I'm going to go over my ephil paper until I can't read anymore. I'll have to check out in the morning and put my stuff in the car. It will be good to get home.

Much love,
PK the Bookeemonster

No comments: