Friday, October 14, 2011

A good use of one's time


I’m currently reading THE BLOOD RED INDIAN SUMMER by David Handler. This is 8th of 8 in series featuring Mitch Berger, a New York film critic, and Desiree “Des” Mitry, a black police detective, in Dorset, Connecticut. Here is a summary:

Tyrone “Da Beast” Grantham, the famously volatile NFL superstar linebacker, has just been suspended for “conduct detrimental to the integrity of and public confidence in the league.” When Tyrone and his entourage decide to spend his season in exile in bucolic Dorset---much to the dismay of his early-to-bed, ultra-white neighbors---Des is put on the spot. And when Tyrone’s eighteen-year-old sister-in-law, Kinitra, washes up on Mitch’s beach one morning, bloodied and barely alive, Des is on the case. Especially when it turns out that Kinitra is eight weeks pregnant. Good thing there’s nothing else serious going on in our heroes’ lives right now. Like, say, Mitch’s parents arriving from Florida at long last to meet the new woman of color in their nice Jewish boy’s life.

This was just published and has 256 pages.

I have Say Yes to the Dress to watch tonight. Otherwise, newspapers to catch up on and reading.

I was thinking about something the other day and it’s not a new thought to me but it strikes me every once in a while. While I enjoy ensemble movies such as The Big Chill and Gosford Park, I am very much a loner personality. I have friends but I don’t collect super-close friends. There are people who I’ve known for decades and I still consider to be my friends and I usually have at least one good friend at a time through work, but I enjoy being by myself; I enjoy my own company and often prefer it. I am comfortable with my own thoughts. That is often company enough for me. I think I was this way growing up, too, though I had two close friends through junior and high school. But I’m just not the personality type to be in a group of girlfriends like you see on TV or in movies. I’m just not Sex in the City or Friends or How I Met Your Mother in a group like that.

And it’s not that I prefer books to being with people. When I am around people, I’m usually rather outgoing. And I really like stories and reading but I also really like just contemplating things with myself. And I don’t feel lonely or like I’m missing anything. An astrologer friend of mine described me as “swimming in really deep, deep waters.” Maybe that best describes it. As a famous “philosopher” once said, “I yam what I yam.”

Much love,

PK the Bookeemonster

No comments: