Saturday, October 15, 2011

My game plan for the weekend


I totally caved. I went to the Friends of the Library sale today. (sigh) The good news is I spent less than $40 -- in the past, I have done much more. And I didn't even look at everything. The majority of my purchases were nonfiction, actually. Lots of books on American history, current events, political theory -- some from our side and some from theirs to better understand them.

It's been a rainy off and on day. I meant to take a nap but it didn't really happen so I'm a little tired. Steve did some scrapping then got the boys new dog beds and some stuff for himself at Cabellas. He may partake in "game night" with his gamer buddies tonight which will go until 2 or 3.


I finished THE BLOOD RED INDIAN SUMMER by Handler this morning. It was a quick, not thick, with big font read and hey, the first book I completed this month and it's only the 15th. Bah, that's terrible. Next will be PORTRAIT OF A SPY by Daniel Silva. This is 11th of 11 in series featuring Gabriel Allon, an art restorer and Israeli secret agent. Here is a summary:

For Gabriel and his wife, Chiara, it was supposed to be the start of a pleasant weekend in London—a visit to a gallery in St. James’s to authenticate a newly discovered painting by Titian, followed by a quiet lunch. But a pair of deadly bombings in Paris and Copenhagen has already marred this autumn day. And while walking toward Covent Garden, Gabriel notices a man he believes is about to carry out a third attack. Before Gabriel can draw his weapon, he is knocked to the pavement and can only watch as the nightmare unfolds. Haunted by his failure to stop the massacre of innocents, Gabriel returns to his isolated cottage on the cliffs of Cornwall, until a summons brings him to Washington and he is drawn into a confrontation with the new face of global terror. At the center of the threat is an American-born cleric in Yemen to whom Allah has granted “a beautiful and seductive tongue.” A gifted deceiver, who was once a paid CIA asset, the mastermind is plotting a new wave of attacks. Gabriel and his team devise a daring plan to destroy the network of death from the inside, a gambit fraught with risk, both personal and professional. To succeed, Gabriel must reach into his violent past. A woman waits there—a reclusive heiress and art collector who can traverse the murky divide between Islam and the West. She is the daughter of an old enemy, a woman joined to Gabriel by a trail of blood. . . .

It was published in July and has 464 pages.

I don't believe there is anything on TV for me but I do have several WSJs to catch up with and of course to read the Silva.

Much love,

PK the Bookeemonster

No comments: