Wednesday, December 26, 2012

By the end of the day, I speak that language



I'm currently reading THE BUZZARD TABLE by Margaret Maron. This is 18th of 18 in series featuring Deborah Knott, district judge in North Carolina. Here is a description:

Judge Deborah Knott and her husband, Sheriff's Deputy Dwight Bryant, are back home in Colleton County amid family and old friends. But the winter winds have blown in several new faces as well. Lt. Sigrid Harald and her mother, Anne, a well-known photographer, are down from New York to visit Mrs. Lattimore, Anne's dying mother. When the group gathers for dinner at Mrs. Lattimore's Victorian home, they meet the enigmatic Martin Crawford, an ornithologist researching a book on Southern vultures. He's also Mrs. Lattimore's long-lost nephew. With her health in decline, Mrs. Lattimore wants to make amends with her family-a desire Deborah can understand, as she, too, works to strengthen her relationship with her young stepson, Cal. Anne is charmed by her mysterious cousin, but she cannot shake the feeling that there is something familiar about Martin . . . something he doesn't want her or anyone else to discover. When a string of suspicious murders sets Colleton County on edge, Deborah, Dwight, and Sigrid once again work together to catch a killer, uncovering long-buried family secrets along the way.

It was published in 2012 and has 320 pages.

Well, I got through Christmas with only a couple bumps. I haven't decided whether to take New Year's Eve off yet; the option is there as I was reminded by my boss today. The "pros" are that it would be nice to have a four-day weekend just to myself and with me being the only collector left in the building after January 31st I may not get many more real days off unless I'm deathly ill. The "cons" are that I have to use PTO which I have but do I want to waste it and Steve will have to work it and won't be a happy camper with me doing that. So I don't know yet. I have a couple days to think about it.

Steve is off shooting tonight. I'm going to have some dinner and then read. I'm not going to get sucked into TV.

It's been blessed cold out the past few days. Single digits. I walked the boys in the mornings of those days off but just couldn't bring myself to do it after work tonight. Steve said he let them run in the front when he got home. They were out all day in the cold so you would think that they wouldn't mind ....? Nah, didn't think so.

Have a lovely evening and stay warm

Much love,
PK the Bookeemonster

No comments: