Saturday, December 29, 2012

Yes, you could be spending your time better on Facebook....



I think I'm sticking with THE LAST DETECTIVE by Peter Lovesey. This is 1st of 13 in series featuring Peter Diamond, a homicide detective in Bath, England. Here is a description:

Irascible, corpulent, cynical Chief Superintendent Peter Diamond of the Avon and Somerset murder squad attributes Britain's decline as a world power to the abolition of capital punishment in 1964. Spurning computer gadgetry, he sticks to common sense, index cards and gumshoeing: "Knocking on doors. That's how we get results." The almost clueless case of the naked woman's body found floating in Chew Valley Lake poses a supreme challenge for the detective, who is anxious to clear his name of recent charges of brutality. The belated identification of the victim as actress Geraldine Snoo, written out of a BBC soap opera two years before, leads to one surprise after another, including the claim of the victim's professor husband that she had tried to kill him, and culminating in the suspenseful trial of divorced mother Dana Didrikson whom Geraldine had accused of trying to steal her husband.

It was published in 1991 and has 331 pages. This is a library book. I dunno; I guess I was in the mood for a British police procedural.

After taking the boys for a run, I got groceries at Walmart and new sheets at Bed, Bath & Beyond. My last set of sheets in the house shattered so we desperately needed that investment. I took a nap in them after putting them through the laundry. I have always believed in quality sheets helps a good night sleep so these are high thread count cotton and feel lovely. Dark blue. I can foresee lots of time spent there.... reading and sleeping.

Do you know what's despicable? At Walmart, it is all Valentine's Day stuff. It's not even January yet, people.

I'm not sure yet what to have for dinner. Last night we had salads from Red Robin. I floated the idea of homemade nachos but that didn't seem to create any excitement. Maybe pizza.

I have some projects planned. I'm hoping tonight I can put together a marinade and soak some meat overnight and make some jerky tomorrow in the dehydrator.  I also need to make some simple Chex mix for some munchies this weekend. Other thoughts are going toward cleaning up the office and doing some research. With no other obligations, we'll see what I can get done or if it turns into wasted time again.

Much love,
PK the Bookeemonster





No comments: