Sunday, December 9, 2012

There is always one in every crowd ....



I believe I have settled upon A TEST OF WILL by Charles Todd. This is 1st of 15 in series featuring Ian Rutledge, a shell-shocked World War I veteran returning to his job at Scotland Yard, in London. Here is a description:

It’s 1919, and the “War to End All Wars” has been won. But there is no peace for Scotland Yard inspector Ian Rutledge, recently returned from the battlefields of France shell-shocked and tormented by the ever-present voice of the young Scot he had executed for refusing an order. Escaping into his work to save his sanity, Rutledge investigates the murder of a popular colonel in Warwickshire and his alleged killer, a decorated war hero and close friend of the Prince of Wales. The case is a political minefield, and its resolution could mean the end of Rutledge’s career. Win or lose, the cost may be more than the damaged investigator can bear. For the one witness who can break the case open is, like Rutledge, a war-ravaged victim . . . and his grim, shattered fate could well prove to be the haunted investigator’s own. 

It was published in 1996 and has 320 pages. This is a Kindle book from the library. 

It has been a quiet day for the most part. I walked the dogs and have been reading news for most of the day. It's about 1:30 now. I think I'll be having a nap in my future; I may be fighting off a cold or something. I'm a lot tired, a little cranky and slightly headachy. I'll soak in the shower, I think, have some lunch, then head for bed. I don't like being cranky.

I've got to do some clothes laundry here pretty quickly. Nothing on TV tonight for us now that Walking Dead is on mid-season hiatus.

It is sunny out but cold, about 20 degrees. The hunkering continues.

Much love,
PK the Bookeemonster

No comments: