Monday, July 28, 2008

Monday 072809

Monday

Work: Holy schmoley it's a week of craziness. I got out the US Bank grant/sponsorship packet and the Sponsor-A-Chair renewal letters today. Tomorrow, I concentrate on the Cultural Trust final packet, getting all the support letters and other materials together. I'd love to get this out Wednesday.

Reading: Finished SILVER PIGS by Lindsey Davis. It's the first in the Falco series set in ancient Rome. You know how I love my hystmyst. It has taken me a while to get into it -- tried a couple times before. Once I got past the beginning it really picked up for me. I'll definitely read more of this series. Here's the blurb:
When Marcus Didius Falco, a Roman “informer” who has a nose for trouble that’s sharper than most, encounters Sosia Camillina in the Forum, he senses immediately all is not right with the pretty girl. She confesses to him that she is fleeing for her life, and Falco makes the rash decision to rescue her—a decision he will come to regret. For Sosia bears a heavy burden: as heavy as a pile of stolen Imperial ingots, in fact. Matters just get more complicated when Falco meets Helena Justina, a Senator’s daughter who is connected to the very same traitors he has sworn to expose. Soon Falco finds himself swept from the perilous back alleys of Ancient Rome to the silver mines of distant Britain—and up against a cabal of traitors with blood on their hands and no compunction whatsoever to do away with a snooping plebe like Falco….

I don't know yet what is next for me. I've been listening to THE MESSENGER by Daniel Silva. I could either speed that up or go on to something else. Maybe Fairstein or Crombie. A library hold should shake loose this week; the new Karin Slaughter though I'm not a wild about it since it's not a continuation of the first series. That one ended with a cliffhanger and she's avoiding writing more about it, damnit.

TV: 'tis tv night for me. The Closer, Jon & Kate Plus Eight, and Paranormal State. Last night watched the final challenge for HGTV Design Star. I won't be voting because I cannot decide between the two; neither really stand out for me like previous years. Will have to find out next week. And I watched the finale of The Next Food Network Star and didn't like the outcome. Blah. Ah well. Don't really watch that channel much anyway. Yesterday afternoon, because of mostly negative discussion of it on 4MA, I watched back-to-back episodes of The Cleaner and actually kind of liked it.

Tonight we're having fish and corn on the cob. I have to walk Tug -- hopefully briefly because it's flippin' 90 degrees out. I had to turn in my bio and session description to the MNA for my seminar thing in September. Oy! But I think it is going to be okay. Must get a laptop soon.

It's after 4 and my brain is going obbity obbity obbity. Don't want to do anymore concentrating.

Much love,
PK the Bookeemonster

No comments: