Saturday, July 19, 2008

Saturday 071908

Saturday

I'm glad Steve didn't do Big Sky State Games this year. Just didn't want to be out and about this weekend. He's out doing some scrapping right now. I'm doing laundry and have already vacuumed, etc.

Reading: The last 24 hours have been very productive. I've finished two books: SAY GOODBYE by Lisa Gardner which I think may be her last in this somewhat of a series of books by way of the epilogue. I don't think I posted a description of this:
Come into my parlor . . .For Kimberly Quincy, FBI Special Agent, it all starts with a pregnant hooker. The story Delilah Rose tells Kimberly about her johns is too horrifying to be true—but prostitutes are disappearing, one by one, with no explanation, and no one but Kimberly seems to care.Said the spider to the fly . . .As a member of the Evidence Response Team, dead hookers aren’t exactly Kimberly’s specialty. The young agent is five months pregnant—she has other things to worry about than an alleged lunatic who uses spiders to do his dirty work. But Kimberly’s own mother and sister were victims of a serial killer. And now, without any bodies and with precious few clues, it’s all too clear that a serial killer has found the key to the perfect murder . . . or Kimberly is chasing a crime that never happened.

If you don't like spiders, this book isn't for you. I had to immediately jump into another book to get the potential images out of my brain. So I read SOUR CHERRY SURPRISE by David Handler which is his newest in the Mitry/Berger series. The two were apart in this one which is surprising -- hence the title I guess -- but all's well that ends well. Here's the blurb from Amazon:
Something has gone very wrong on bucolic Sour Cherry Lane. A straight-arrow
high school student has started throwing wild sex parties. The distinguished
history professor across the lane has gone missing. His estranged wife, a
popular author of children’s books, is strung out on crystal meth. And the new
man in her life is under surveillance by a joint federal and state drug task
force.It’s not exactly a day in Yankee paradise for Desiree Mitry, the alluring
resident trooper of Dorset, Connecticut. Especially when you throw in those
unwelcome fainting spells she’s been having ever since she broke it off with
pudgy New York film critic Mitch Berger and took up again with her ex-husband,
U.S. Attorney Brandon Stokes. Mitch has moved on with his life, saying good-bye
to Dorset and hello to a new high-profile television career. Not to mention a
newly slimmed-down and styled self. Des is completely out of his system. Or so
Mitch thinks. Des, meanwhile, is furious to discover that a major drug cartel
has been operating in Dorset right under her nose. Matters escalate when one of
those troubled Sour Cherry Lane residents turns up dead. Des pursues the case in
her own way. The problem is that her way gets her in way too deep. And there’s
only person who can possibly get her out.

I recommend this series for not quite cozy but definitely not hardboiled mystery reading.
I've got three more 14-day books from the library to make it through. I've started STALKING SUSAN by Julie Kramer, her first. Here's the blurb from Amazon for this one:
Inside the desperate world of TV ratings, an investigative reporter discovers that a serial killer is targeting women named Susan and killing one on the same day each year.Television reporter Riley Spartz is recovering from a heartbreaking, headline-making catastrophe of her own when a longtime police source drops two homicide files in her lap in the back of a dark movie theater. Both cold cases involve women named Susan strangled on the same day, one year apart. Last seen alive in one of Minneapolis’s poorest neighborhoods, their bodies are each dumped in one of the city’s wealthiest areas. Riley senses a pattern between those murders and others pulled from a computer database of old death records. She must broadcast a warning soon, especially to viewers named Susan, because the deadly anniversary is approaching. But not just lives are at stake— so are careers. November is television sweeps month, and every rating point counts at Channel 3. Riley must go up against a news director who cares more about dead dogs than dead women, a politician who fears negative stories about serial killers will hurt the city’s convention business, and the very real possibility that her source knows more about the murders than he is letting on. When Riley suspects the killer has moved personal items from one victim to the next as part of an elaborate ritual, she stages a bold on-air stunt to draw him out and uncovers a motive that will leave readers breathless.
It's starting out pretty good so I expect it will go fast.

Tonight I believe Steve and I will go to Hellboy 2. It's at the Carmike and all the crowds will be at the Winnsong. It's good to go to movies out once in a while; we need to do it more often. If only movies were, you know, GOOD.

Yesterday after work I gassed the car and then went to Borders to look at movie magazines. I picked up four to check out their worthiness. I also bought three DVDs that were only $5.99 each. Two I already had on VHS but being only tapes, they're worth getting better versions of: Zefferelli's Romeo and Juliet and Dead Again (with commentary!). And I got Sunset Boulevard to start really watching the classics. I know I've seen scenes from a lot but I don't think I've sat through an entire viewing of this one. Speaking of movies, check out TCM channel, in August it's the motherlode of wonderful films. If only we had TiVO so I could tape them all. Here's a schedule: http://i.cdn.turner.com/v5cache/TCM/2008/summer/SUTS_2008_month.pdf After Borders I went to Best Buy to see if they had laptops on clearance. There are a couple of possibilities. I need one for the presentation at MNA but I don't want to spend a lot of money. Money-wise, it would be wiser to wait until the next paycheck before I can actually make a purchase. And I can use it to watch DVDs upstairs. Yay.

The last part of Dr. Horrible was released online today. I was disappointed in how it ended. I wanted Penny to turn out to be evil too. Ah well.

I believe we're having Rocket burritos for late lunch/early dinner so that Steve can have popcorn at the movie later. He doesn't like to go to movie theatres without having the popcorn. Me, I'd rather save the money and not have anything.

Much love,
PK the Bookeemonster


No comments: