Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Wednesday 072308

Wednesday

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."--Groucho Marx. I love that quote. I first saw it posted in a used bookstore in Bozeman on Main Street called Vargos. I called it book heaven. I haven't been there in years. I wonder if its still there and if its as good as I remember. Of course, my taste in reading shifted a little since then. Back then I was less focused in my reading -- more classics. Now I'd be judging it by its mystery section and I'm a rather good judge if I do say so myself.

Work: I don't know how much I can get done today. What I need for the grants has to come from Sandi and she has a board meeting to prepare for today. I have a week to get these done but I may have to wait until tomorrow to push on anything. Sounds like all the staff (all three of us) will be required to attend the board meeting this afternoon.

Reading: THE DAWN PATROL by Don Winslow. I don't know, it's not really grabbing me like the past few books have. I can see why it's getting raves from some people but there is something missing for me. It's like it's too "cute" for its own good. I can so see Matthew McConaughey as the lead guy and an all-star cast of surfer dudes playing the rest of the dawn patrol and some up-and-coming busty starlet as the attorney chick. I'll give it another day before moving on I think. I do have many many more to read otherwise from the library and my own priority TBR.

TV: nada.

I am hoping to go to Shakespeare in the Park tonight but last night was a rough one and I'm tired and unambitious about it today. A severe storm blew through last night. Right before it hit Steve decided to go for a bike ride so was out in the beginnings with lightening and wind which of course made me nervous and mad. He got back before it really hit. I'm glad he was so happy to have the bike ride because he was in a rotten mood all evening after work but he could have picked a better time. So then we lost power for four hours -- one street to the north and one street to the south got theirs back after one hour but ours came on at 12:15 am. We didn't sleep well because even though we had the windows open it was still stuffy inside. After that, Steve apparently had another low suger episode and wasn't very nice this time around so there was an argument but he apologized later, strangely enough. So I'm tired and just want a peaceful evening with a book, a good dinner, and my dog. We'll see.

I keep thinking I should just sit down and watch a movie but it is such a time commitment that I could spend reading but I need to do this for my next project. And I have so many that I own that need to be watched -- The Brave One with Jodi Foster, Becoming Jane with Anne Hathaway, the second Elizabeth movie with Cate Blanchett, Atonement with James McAvoy, P.S. I Love You with Gerard Butler, Vantage Point with Dennis Quaid, gosh I know I have more. And there are tv shows on DVD that I have to watch. Argh! Work interferes with my leisure time!

One of these posts I'll start talking about my idea for a nonprofit so I can do some sounding out. It won't be happening for a year or so but the ideas are coming.

You know what sounds good? After walking Tug, making some artichoke dip of mine, getting a little bit of brie and some water crackers and having that for dinner. Should I skip SIP? Groceries for these supplies, walk Tug and then give him a knuckle bone to bribe him with, and read with some music playing. Hmmmmm.... Thinking, thinking....

Much love,
PK the Bookeemonster

No comments: