Sunday, July 20, 2008

Sunday 072008

Sunday

We went to see Hellboy 2: The Golden Army last night. Here's a plot description from IMDB.com:

The Golden Army begins when an ancient truce existing between humankind and the invisible realm of the fantastic is broken; Hell on earth is ready to erupt. Hellboy 2 tells the tale of a ruthless leader who treads the world above and the one below, defies his bloodline and awakens an unstoppable army of creatures. Its up to the planets toughest, roughest superhero to battle the merciless dictator and his marauders. He may be red, he may be horned, he may be misunderstood, but when you need the job done right, its time to call in Hellboy (Ron Perlman), and the B.P.R.D.The Bureau for Paranormal Research and Defense (BPRD) will travel between the surface world and the unseen magical one, where creatures of fantasy become corporeal, along with his expanding team pyrokinetic girlfriend Liz Sherman (Selma Blair), aquatic empath Abe (Doug Jones), and protoplasmic mystic Johann Krauss (James Dodd), the newest member of the BPRD. A slip-up results in the F.B.I. being forced to reveal the existence of BPRD to the general public. Brash old Hellboy doesn't play well with the public, which only increases the instability of his already-turning-rough relationship with Liz. Relations with fellow paranormal Johann (who is a sort of ectoplasmic spirit held within a very special containment suit), a reserved by-the-book type sent to take charge of the unpredictable and insubordinate Hellboy, only increase tensions within the group. But in the end they've all got to come together to fight Prince Nuada (Luke Goss), who, with his army of goblins, faeries, and the like, is attempting to resurrect an unstoppable army of fearless golden automatons once controlled by his father.


Overall, it was disappointing. Visually, it was beautiful and I've not seen such love of creatures and world creating since Jim Henson. What worked so wonderfully in the first movie was this sense of "realness" even though they were comic book characters and total belief in themselves. This, as often happens in sequels, had a sense of "aren't we cool" that then translates into less story and more caricature of themselves. This is a movie by a director who had to prove himself in the past, received acclaim (Pan's Labyrinth), and now has been given total freedom to explore his vision but loses his connection with the audience on some basic level. I'm glad we saw it in the theatre but sad that it didn't make more of an impact on both of us. And let me say I was completely SHOCKED at the prices for concessions. $11.60 for one large popcorn and one large pop. That is completely insane. And the movie industry wonders why they can't get audiences. A. prices, B. stupid movies. I felt brain cells dying at the previews of upcoming totally lowest common denominator stupid movies. That's why I'm running to the independents and classics. There's got to something worthy out there.

I had weird dreams again last night. One I barely remember involved wedding dresses.

Steve will probably sleep in quite late this morning. He scrapped all day yesterday, completely worn out and aching in the muscles. I think he's going to get the mower out of the repair shop and perhaps mow today. My chores of the day are clothes laundry and walking Tug. Currently, I'm reading emails and surfing the net.

Reading: I'll finish STALKING SUSAN by Julie Kramer today. First line: "So the deal is this -- any cop who tickets me for a moving violation gets an 'attaboy' from the chief and a day off duty, off the books." I've enjoyed this one not only for the easy "voice" of the author but also the seemingly accurate behind the scenes feel of the investigative television world. Her author bio states: "Julie Kramer is a freelance television news producer for NBC's Today Show, Nightly News, and Dateline. Prior to that, she was a national award-winning producer for WCCO-TV in Minneapolis. She lives in White Bear Lake, Minnesota, with her husband and sons. www.juliekramerbooks.com." So I guess she knows her stuff. I would read more of her books as they come out. Next up, either ROCK & ROLL NEVER FORGETS by Deborah Grabien or THE DAWN PATROL by Don Winslow.

TV: tonight is HGTV's Design Star and Food Networks Star thing. Both are down to the final three potentials. I'll be glad to get Sunday evenings back when they're over.

So, hopefully a restful day today before getting into the work week again. Ahead of me: grants, grants, and more grants. Finalizing the sending of. On Wednesday and Thursday is Shakespeare in the Parks doing the M show and Alls Well That Ends Well. Thursday I'm meeting with JodyO and Barb and maybe Sara for dinner and Shakespeare.

This reminded me that or made me think about my tastes in theatre, movies, books, etc. In theatre, I prefer musicals and Shakespeare. I don't like plays really, too pretentious and boring. With art, I can't abide contemporary art but prefer the masters. In movies I can't stand stupid and prefer independent and classic, you know, SOME redeeming value. I don't think I'm an elitist or anything, I just want value, weight, noteworthiness; I value true talent.

Anyway....

Much love,
PK the Bookeemonster

No comments: