Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Wednesday 071608

Wednesday

I have a golf lesson after work today. I recognize that to be active in the nonprofit world I may have to do things I haven't really been attracted to before .... golf. I also recognize that money people play golf and maybe I should see if I like so I can do some networking and relationship building. Perhaps I'll like it. Perhaps I won't. But I'm willing to take a lesson to see which way I fall on the matter. Starting at 5:45, the lesson is only 45 minutes long and I'm going with Jody B (which means I can't back out of it because I don't want her to be stuck with the cost of a lesson for one) but I always get that pre-obligation "I don't want to do anything" feeling before I have to do something. But it's not like it will take all evening; I'll be done by 6:30. Walk Tug, deal with dinner.

TV: Looks like nothing on. Yay, I can read. I missed the season premiere of a show last night because it started at 9 instead of earlier in the evening: Say Yes to the Dress about wedding dress searching. It's on the Learning Channel and is quite good actually. Ah well.

Reading: Started THE KING'S FAVORITE by Susan Holloway Scott and it is capturing my attention and I've liked the other two books by her that I've read. I've always liked the Restoration time period. Here's the first line, actually from the Prologue: "I never claimed to be a lady." Here's the back cover description:

The acclaimed author of Duchess and Royal Harlot returns to the court of King Charles II, with all its intrigue and passion, to tell the unforgettable story of Nell Gwyn -- the pretty, witty beauty who rose from the poverty of Covent Garden to become the king's last love and London's darling... Nell Gwyn was never a lady, nor did she pretend to be one. The daughter of a Royalist soldier, she is taken to London by her widowed mother to work in a bawdy house. At fourteen, she becomes the mistress of a weathy merchant, who introduces her to the world of the theater. Blessed with impudent wit and saucy good looks, she swiftly rises from an orange seller to a leading lady, and she is still in her teens when she catches the eye of King Charles II. She trades the stage for Whitehall Palace and the glorious role of a royal mistress. Yet even as she delights the king, she must learn to negotiate the cutthroat court, where intrigue and lust for power rule the hearts of all around her. Beneath her charm and lightheartedness, Nell has her own ambition: to come no less than the king's favorite.
It looks like the library is getting ready to release some holds for me (they've gone from capitalized letters to regular which means the books are in the building and being processed). They are: SOUR CHERRY SURPRISE by David Handler (figures doesn't it), SAY ANYTHING by Lisa Gardner, and ROCK & ROLL NEVER FORGETS by Deborah Grabien. Maybe they'll be ready to pick up this afternoon.

Steve has shooting tonight so I can do what I wanna. I always do that anyway but it's just a feeling of freedom on Wednesdays. I do hope we have this weekend free. Two weekends ago was July 4th holidays, last weekend was SummerFair; I don't want to do anything for two days in a row (other than cleaning). We'll probably go see Hellboy 2 with Batman opening and taking all the crowds with it. It's only mid-week, PK, settle down.

Work: finetuning the Cultural Trust grant narrative and pulling together the supplemental materials.

I need to pick up some groceries. I should go to Walmart for prices but after golf Albertsons will be closer. Hmm. And I should pick up some fish from there for tomorrow; it's better. I would really like to get my hair worked on. It just doesn't feel pretty and I don't think I look good with it pulled back in a pony tail every day though I'll still be doing that while it's hot. Maybe I could try Blanco Blanco again on Friday. We'll see.

UPDATE: Oy, when it rains it pours. I have four books to pick up after work from the library. Why can't they time these things better for me? Eh? Eh? BTW, my brain doesn't want to work anymore today so now I'm just killing time until the clock says go. Ugh, I hate it when that happens. Just useless.

Much love,
PK the Bookeemonster

No comments: