Monday, November 10, 2008

Annual Event Day

So today is the 42nd anniversary of an annual event. I had lunch with JodyO and Sara - we ate at the Brew Pub and I had a reuben sandwich of course with half left over so I will have the other half tomorrow. I got groceries at Walmart, got home as quickly as I could because I noticed a tire going flat. Steve will pick up the pizza after work since I'm stuck here now (I hope it won't interfere with going to the interview tomorrow). We'll be staying in for the evening and watch tv or a movie. I got a card from Lisa on Friday and I expect she'll call tonight; Erik called this afternoon.

Chuck is on tonight as well as Jon and Kate Plus 8. I do have a couple movies on hand that we haven't watched yet so I'm not sure what will ultimately happen.

M&D came over with card and brownies (num!). Steve snuck in this morning with flowers - a really pretty arrangement -- so they complement the pretty flowers from Mom. A very nice day overall.

I've been reading TWILIGHT by Stephanie Meyer. It is the first of four I think of her very popular series. I do not like vampires whatsoever but I thought I'd see what all the hype is about. JodyO has read the entire series in a week and cites it as one of her top five series ever. High praise. I find the first book enjoyable to read despite being about vampires. It definitely pulls you in right away being in first person POV. And I'm sure many of the target age can relate to being awkward in high school. This book, however, goes way beyond romance and that, too, is probably why it is so popular. It goes beyond "I can't live without you" into "I can't be separated from you for even a minute" in terms of romantic excess. I can also see strains of what makes shows like Gossip Girl and others so popular as well - that group think/group line dancing thing. I've gotten the second in the series but I'm not going to read it right away. I just don't find vampires sexy or appealing in any way.

I'll probably go back to the Phil Rickman or pick up one of the 14-day books from the library next.

Actually, I may take Steve off the hook for having to be entertained with me and just watch the shows and then I'll just read. That sounds really nice, too.

Much love,
PK the Bookeemonster

No comments: