Saturday, November 8, 2008

Saturday should be reading day

It's after noon o'clock here.

I got up shortly after 7 as Tug was pawing at me. Did our usual Saturday ritual of touring the neighborhood. I've run a couple errands already: library and groceries. I hope to settle in for a couple hours before Tug will start bugging about his walk.

The book I had on hold to pick up was a debut historical mystery author's: VEIL OF LIES by Jeri Westerson. She calls it a "medieval noir." Everything is noir these days. Kelli Stanley's debut histmyst this year was self-proclaimed "roman noir." I saw both of them at a panel at LCC-Denver. There's Manhattan Noir (a whole series of cities, I believe), Tartan Noir, etc, etc. And I don't even like noir unless it's a movie, you know, the REAL THING. I'm a snob, I know.

Here's the blurb on VEIL OF LIES:
Crispin Guest, a former knight who was stripped of his rank after being implicated in a plot against Richard II, now makes his living as a tracker, the medieval equivalent of a PI, in Westerson's promising debut, set in 1384 London. Nicholas Walcote, a wealthy cloth merchant, hires Guest to investigate his younger and attractive wife, Philippa, whom he suspects of infidelity. Guest's cursory probe is derailed after his client is found stabbed to death in a locked room. Philippa retains Guest's services to find her husband's killer, who may have been motivated by Walcote's possessing a legendary relic reputed to force those in its proximity to tell the truth.
I'll give it a shot. The author has, unfortunately, been marketing the hell out of it everywhere she goes which is getting to the level of annoying and I appreciate that she's excited about her first book and wants it to be a success ... I'll judge the book, not the author. This will have to go to the front of the queue.

So THE CURE OF SOULS by Phil Rickman will have to go on hold. I also picked up a handful of other books - a lot of 14-day ones which is very stupid of me because it means I'll have to get to those first instead of the so many wonderful ones I have waiting for me at home. I took home CATHEDRAL OF THE SEA by Ildefonso Falcones de Sierra, GAS CITY by Loren Estleman, MEDICUS by Ruth Downie, THE SHARING KNIFE by Lois McMaster Bujold, and THE BORDEAUX BETRAYAL by Ellen Crosby (again).

The library was busy with people looking and children crying and it looked like an embroidery group was setting up for display. I talked to my friend Dee. She told me earlier this week that they would be hiring in November sometime. Today she said it's taking a long time; I had already pretty much decided that I wouldn't want to work there -- as much as I would love to be around books and have access to their storage of books, I wouldn't be in control of my schedule and would have to work some evenings and weekends. I don't really want to do that anymore.

I don't think there is really anything on tv tonight. Steve will watch Cops; it's a new one. I think I may be making eggs, bacon and waffles/pancakes tonight. I hate waffles; Steve loves them so I'll make waffles for him and pancakes for me.

Now, I should take advantage of the two and half hours until I have to walk Tug to read but I'm kinda feeling a nap start to creep in. This is a mixed blessing because naps are lovely but I lose so much reading time and Saturday and Sunday should be reading days - uninterrupted blocks of pure reading for pleasure.

Much love,
PK the Bookeemonster

No comments: