Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Election day, TRIGGER CITY by Sean Chercover

Sorry I missed yesterday, I guess I just got busy. No, I was fighting a minor anxiety session and then got groceries and walked Tug.

Today, I've put in another resume and I'm meeting the president and vice president of the Symphony to do an exit interview. Either prior to that or right after I'm going to the bookstore to pick up the new JD Robb. (yay)

I got contacted today by a nonprofit headhunter about an opening at an animal shelter in Utah looking for a development director. He'd contacted me previously and I had forwarded it on to JodyO. I emailed him back saying I couldn't move from Billings but if he got any tips on jobs that would allow me to work from here...long shot of course... I'd be very interested. He asked to keep my resume on file so I forwarded it on to him. Couldn't hurt I suppose.

I've been listening to the radio and will continue throughout the afternoon. This evening I'll switch to tv but I'll keep an eye on Glenn Beck via Internet. I honestly believe we won't know the result today. I think it will be close and there will be lawsuits that could sway things one way or the other. I've a bet with JodyO that we won't know ... lunch rides on it. She thinks we will know tonight.

I finished TRIGGER CITY by Sean Chercover. He has a strong "voice" like Michael Connelly. Very good PI series. This was just published, is the 2nd in a series of two featuring Ray Dudgeon, a former newspaper reporter turned private investigator, in Chicago, Illinois; it has 304 pages. Here's the blurb:


Still suffering the physical and emotional consequences of going up against the Chicago Outfit, PI Ray Dudgeon needs an easy gig. A routine investigation of an open-and-shut case sounds perfect. The job is a loser, but the pay is good, and maybe Ray will bring some peace to a grieving father who yearns to learn the truth about the daughter he never really knew.

But what begins as routine soon spirals out of control. The victim was not simply a quiet, shy, unassuming single woman whose luck ran out. She lived a double life, working in the shadowy realm of covert intelligence. In a world built on secrets and lies, she fought bravely for truth—and gave her life in the fight.

Suddenly, Ray finds himself caught in a war between private contractors and the darkest sectors of our own government—a war that stretches from the closed-door hearings of Congress to the frontlines of Iraq.

Ensnared in a conspiracy of darkness that weaves its way through the very fabric of the nation, Ray must discover who's really pulling the strings before he becomes collateral damage in America's war on terror.No peril Ray Dudgeon has faced in the past could've prepared him for this. The stakes couldn't be any higher, and no enemy could be more powerful. Ray is in way over his head.

And his greatest enemy may be himself.

And here is the first paragraph:


"Forty-four is too young for a woman to die." Isaac Richmond sipped black coffee from a U.S. Army mug, then fixed his ice-blue eyes on the framed photograph in his other hand. He rested the mug on the coffee table. "You don't agree.
His website can be found at http://www.chercover.com and one neat feature he has is a soundtrack for each of his books. Music has a big role with this character. How cool is that? His first book, BIG CITY BAD BLOOD racked up this: 2008 Shamus Award for Best First Novel, Finalist 2008 Anthony Award for Best First Novel, Finalist 2008 Arthur Ellis Award for Best First Novel, and Finalist 2008 Barry Award for Best First Novel. Like I say, a really good new PI series.

Happy reading,
PK the Bookeemonster

No comments: