Saturday, November 22, 2008

Saturday's alright for fightin' (Elton John)

I've been bit by bit working on my Project the past couple days -- getting my books organized in alphabetically order. I've actually been ruthless now in deciding what I keep and what I don't. BTW, did you know that used bookstores don't take donations anymore? Well mine doesn't. I hauled two boxes of books over there yesterday and she only kept a small handful and declined about 95% of them. I guess they'll get donated to the library now.

Anyway, with my project, I'm up to "D" in the alphabet. A through D fill one bookcase, not double stacked in anyway. I'm very proud of it. So far it really does represent what I've read and enjoyed enough to keep and those books that I'm interested in to read in the future. I just love looking at that bookcase now. Of course, the rooms are a mess with books and will probably get worse before the Project is done but I'm glad I'm doing it.

So I'm still not really reading but I'm dealing with my books. :)


I applied for another job yesterday, for the Arthritis Foundation. Again, we'll see what happens.

I watched the best episode of MI-5 yesterday; the 5th episode of season two. In a nutshell, the MI-5 team come to work Friday morning and, ugh, they have to do a drill of an extreme national emergency in which they are locked down in their command center (and the lackluster participation of some members) when they come to the realization that, wait a minute, we don't think this is fake due to the continued evidence that somethat really catastrophic has happened. It shows the strength of command as the complications grow by the hour and the falling apart of morale as things get more dire. Then, surprise, right when the leader "shoots" someone as they try to leave the contained area, it turns out it was a drill/assessment after all and the reactions to that realization. Good acting.

I also watched a DVD I had checked out from the library, North and South, based on the novel by Elizabeth Gaskell about the pride and prejudices of a minister's daughter and a mill owner in a Northern England mill town. It's a struggle of classes -- working and gentry -- and a struggle of business versus moral/social duty, etc. I was only going to watch episode two (it has four one-hour episodes), when the story got a hold of me and I wound up watching the whole thing and finally went to bed after midnight. Yes, it's a 19th century romantic story with all the coincidences and sentimentality but I enjoyed it a lot. Those British period dramas are the best.

I don't know what is going to go on this weekend. Steve will probably be up soon; I don't know if he has a job lined up for today or not. I don't think I need to run errands today. I think a nap will happen this afternoon for me because I only got about 6 hours of sleep. I guess we just take things as they come, eh?

Much love,
PK the Bookeemonster

No comments: