Sunday, August 24, 2008

082408

Day 367 of being sick.... Or just feels that way. Wouldn't it be amazing to wake up clear headed and eyed? Okay, I'm done whining now. Must be weary of reading about it.



There are women who I admire. And, I have to admit, they are through various media sources but that is how we see the outside world, isn't it. Off the top of my head, I admire Condoleeza Rice, Dame Judith Dench, Helen Mirren, Rene Russo, Angelina Jolie for her humanitarianism, the late Audry Hepburn, Katherine Hepburn, Ruth Rendell and PD James, and of course there are more. I admire these women for their intelligence, poise in the world, being comfortable in their own skin and knowledgeable about who they are and what they are doing. I want to be them when I grow up.



That's one reason why I'd like to juxtapose two photos of Pete Townshend of The Who. There is a photo of him from the 70's where he is just blasted weary and there is a recent one of him gently smiling out much grayer and more lines on his face. I see these two photos of a lifetime as the struggle that people go through searching for themselves and for meaning and purpose and fighting the invisible when they are younger and then the acceptance or knowledge that all that struggle was for no purpose so you stop struggling against the world or yourself and just accept what is because that's the way it's supposed to be and was there all along.



This morning I don't have many emails to read apparently so I'm doing the Sunday morning surfing of book blogs and news stories wherever they take me. I've currently got windows open for my email, this blog, an interview with Ruth Rendell from The Independent, tvguide.com, a story of a D.C. female police chief from the Washington Post, and the pilot episode of Burn Notice from fancast.com, a free full episode site of tv shows. It isn't unheard of for me to have 8-10 windows open at once as I jump between them including a book blog or email, amazon.com, stopyourekillingme.com and my library site to coordinate books I'm interested in. The Internet is interactive for me and something I can do for hours.



The books blogs are mentioning some that I've put on my radar: a new standalone Val McDemid which isn't available here yet, a new Christopher Brookmyre -- reminding me that I have several of his that I mean to read and I do like them but I haven't gotten to them yet.



Reading: Finished the Priscilla Royal, FORSAKEN SOUL. Wasn't bad but somehow lacked the umph of previous books. I have a couple 14-day books from the library but I don't know if I am actually drawn to them right now. I am more in the mood for a good solid read of an established writer - more along the lines of Ian Rankin or Ruth Rendell, I've been meaning to try Pelecanos for years, or one of my personal TBR pile, a good hystmyst or international. It's a cliche but it's true: so much to read so little time. I'll be holding auditions today. Tuesday is the new Vicky Bliss which will trump everything.



TV: I suppose there is something to watch. Looks like TNT is doing all three Lord of the Rings movies. ABC Family channel is doing a marathon of Harry Potter movies.



Today I'll be doing much as the same as yesterday: laundry, walk Tug, and try to get better. Steve didn't go out yesterday. He's got to go get the lawn mower and pick up some hamburger at his parents. He HAS to mow. He still has his cold, too. I didn't stay to watch all of the Steeler game last night; I wonder how it turned out? He came to bed at 2am. Oy. So I imagine he'll sleep a bit this morning.



Well, I've been surfing for quite a bit now. I suppose I should close this out. More later if anything occurs...

Much love,

PK the Bookeemonster

No comments: