Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Tuesday 080508

Another Tuesday.

Work: going through grants again. Updating info and checking out possibilities. And making files of donations. It's quiet today; everyone pretty much sticking to their projects.

Reading: Last night I wasn't in the mood for the gothic so I started a nonfiction book about cold cases that came out a couple years ago called THE RESTLESS SLEEP: INSIDE THE NYC COLD CASE SQUAD by Stacy Horn. The first line (from the preface) states, "The minute you die you start to fade from the world and from the memories of the people who knew you." Cheerful, eh? Here's the blurb:

NPR contributor Horn's deft writing and unique access to detectives laboring to bring justice to the many forgotten victims of murder create a significant addition to the genre. Horn tracks four very different unsolved killings—a brutal torture of drug dealers while their young children were restrained in an adjoining room; the murder of an off-duty cop who interrupted a robbery in progress; an apparent sex crime turned fatal that claimed the life of a teenager; and the fetishistic strangling of a transplanted Southerner. Each crime presents unique obstacles for the dedicated detectives assigned to them, and each yields very different results. The heroic and three-dimensional portrayals of the individual police officers are compelling, but many will find more novelty in Horn's detailed assessment of the bureaucratic turf battles surrounding the cold case squad, and the serious obstacles NYPD reformers continue to face.

I love cold cases for some reason and nonfiction was suiting my mood. I'm back to reading my WSJs -- I had taken break for a couple weeks because of the huge time commitment. Takes a lot of time but ya gotta stay informed somehow. I placed an order for a book coming out next week. The library doesn't list it though they have the author's previous books. This is the fifth book in the series by Priscilla Royal; a hystmyst set in 1273 England featuring Prioress Eleanor and Brother Thomas. I met this author when I went to LCC in Denver earlier this year. She didn't look at all like I pictured but she is a very intelligent and well-spoken person. I would love to just sit down and talk to her for an afternoon. She was one of the panel in the very first one I attended and I was able to go up to her later and tell her how much I enjoyed her work. Kinda thrilling for just a reader.

Looks like I've got another hold ready to pick up. Will stop by on the way home. You know, in some ways I think I need to stop doing this because these books always jump the queu over books I REALLY want to read because I enjoy them so much. I'd love to get back to Susanna Gregory because I miss Matthew and Brother Michael, read the JT Ellison that I picked up at LCC, the Aline Templeton I got used, the next book by the author of THE HOUSE AT RIVERTON, continue the series reading I'm doing of Ian Rankin and Reginald Hill, etc. Yes, the holds allow me to get to books that I couldn't afford that I really want to read but often times I put books on hold that look interesting but maybe not necessarily what I want to be reading at the time, ya know what I mean?

TV: One more TV night: 48 Hours and The Cleaner. A&E all the way.

Steve has his monthly YRC board of directors meeting tonight. Dinner will have to be quick after I walk Tug. I was going to give Tug an extra long walk last night since it didn't get as hot and I was feeling like I needed some extra exercise but 10 minutes into it, it started to rain so I decided to just do our regular route. A nice gentle summer rain for the next half hour or so. It stopped five minutes before we got home. Yes, I was wet but it didn't thunder that much and was clearing up in the west so I knew it wouldn't be a problem. It was actually kinda nice.

Tomorrow I'm having lunch with Dottie. I was shocked that she's leaving YAM; she had said she'd stick it out for two years but this is only one. Something tipped her over the edge. I don't think she'll want to talk about it much at lunch but I let her know I was a safe venting place. We're going to The Soup Place; I've never been so that will be interesting. Oh, I need to grab some cash.

If anything crosses my mind to note later, I'll be back.

Much love,
PK the Bookeemonster

No comments: