Wednesday, August 27, 2008

082708

One of my eyes was acting up last night and again this morning. I'm thinking, though, that walking Tug in such strong wind yesterday did it. There was a lot of dirt and stuff and very very windy. But to be safe, I didn't wear eye makeup this morning.

Last night was interesting (Dem convention). No politics spoken here, but Montana's governor spoke right before Hillary. I do not like the man but I would say about halfway into his speech, he became a national player.

Work: More of the same as yesterday.

Reading: Finished THE MERLOT MURDERS by Ellen Crosby. I will read more of this author because the characters are interesting but the main protagonist was being too much of a victim toward the end to my taste. Will start Elizabeth Peters' LAUGHTER OF DEAD KINGS. Here's the blurb from Publisher's Weekly:

Fans of bestseller Peters's Vicky Bliss series will welcome her solid sixth suspense novel to feature the plucky art historian, last seen in Night Train to Memphis (1994). In Munich, where Vicky is an assistant curator at the city's National Museum, she and her longtime love, John Tregarth (formerly Sir John Smythe, notorious art thief), are shocked when their friend Feisal, the Inspector of Antiquities for all Upper Egypt, arrives unexpectedly and informs them that King Tut's mummy has been stolen from its tomb in the Valley of the Kings and that John is the prime suspect. Vicky and company, including her inquisitive boss, set off on a whirlwind quest beginning in Europe and ending in the Egyptian desert to clear John's name and recover the famous corpse.
The first paragraph reads:

My singing doesn't inspire thousands of fans to emit screams of delight, but I was a trifle hurt when my dog jumped up with a howl and streaked for the stairs. Usually he likes my singing. He's the only who does like my singing. Otherwise his hearing is pretty good.

Peters' website can be found at http://www.mpmbooks.com/. She wrote the first Vicky Bliss in 1973 and rather sporadically since then. It has been fourteen years since the last one. Why do I love them? At the time, they featured such a fun main character in first person who had run ins with this sexy thief. We'll see with this book if it holds up to my memories or if my tastes have moved away. Uh oh, looks like things are being made available soon at the library. Bunches. I may be over run here very soon.

TV: More of the convention I imagine. Must read.

It is rather brisk this morning. I know it's not supposed to get above 80 today but this morning I think it is in the 50s. I'm reading a summer sweater and (gasp) socks with real shoes, not sandals.

I'm trying to get back to my good habits from the beginning of the year. I fell of the wagon since June, eating bad but good-tasting things and drinking coffee. Prices are so expensive for groceries so I may not be able to be as strict as I was previously with chicken/fish and vegies with brown rce every evening but I can cut the snacks and at least for now cut back on the coffee.

Our Internet wasn't working last night and again this morning. I turned things off this morning and if it isn't working again after work, I'll be contacting Bresnan about it.

Steve wasn't feeling well this morning -- that darned cold keeps coming back and never really going away -- he mentioned that he might go back home after getting things going at the shop to lay down for a while. Tug will like the company. I wonder if he will feel good enough to go shooting tonight.

Halfway through the week before a long weekend with Labor Day coming. And closer to getting my hair cut (yay).

More later if anything occurs....

Much love,
PK the Bookeemonster

No comments: