Saturday, August 9, 2008

Saturday 080908

I saw the signs but I didn't read them. For two weeks I've been sneezing and didn't feel well last Sunday. Thursday my neck was stiff and sore. Yesterday I had a headache that wouldn't go away. Today I've got a cold. So I'm napping a lot and I just had some chili and a Frosty after scrounging for quarters. Tug got a cookie from Wendy's drive through which makes them one of the good guys. I'll probably take another nap soon. I didn't sleep well at all last night so I guess I'm making up for lost time.

Steve is currently at the shooting tournament. He should be done around 3-ish. Then we'll walk Tug; in the heat (mid 90s) but it just doesn't count if we do one earlier in the day and I just wasn't up for it. Dinner I think is going to something easy like hotdogs and potato salad.

TV: I don't think there is anything.

Reading: I've started a debut, BLACK AND WHITE AND DEAD ALL OVER by John Darnton. Here's a blurb:
William Randolph Hearst meets Agatha Christie in this entertaining crime novel from Pulitzer Prize–winner Darnton (The Darwin Conspiracy). When assistant managing editor Theodore S. Ratnoff is found murdered in the offices of the New York Globe, a major newspaper struggling to stay afloat amid ever-decreasing readership, circulation and stock value, the killer could be any number of Globe employees who've been humiliated by the tyrannical Ratnoff over the years. Aided by enigmatic NYPD Det. Priscilla Bollingsworth, the Globe's investigative reporter Jude Hurley begins the daunting task of exonerating a laundry list of suspects, who include rogue cops, a reporter suspected of plagiarism and a disgraced executive editor. When the Globe's gossip columnist and food critic turn up dead, the case suddenly becomes much more complicated—and dangerous. Loaded with subtle social commentary and wry humor (a teen's Web journal, teenage.snivel.com, gets close to 1.5 million hits a day), this highly intelligent whodunit will keep readers guessing.

Here's the first line: "Ellen Butterby had never before seen a dead body." It reads almost like a parody with silly names and over the top situations but I think I'm liking it. I've always liked behind the scenes of newspapers. I've got the new Michael Kortya waiting for me at the library; I'll pick it up on Monday. I've given up on that debut gothic - THE BLACKSTONE KEY by Rose Melikan. Just not in the mood for spending time on it when there's so many others that are interesting me more. Maybe I'll get to it another time. But I don't believe in forcing oneself to read where interest is failing. Life's too short and there's too much to read. Entertain me immediately or I move on...so there.

I've got laundry going and maybe later I'll get to the vacuuming. Otherwise not much going on, unfortunately, just taking it easy. But I guess it's a good thing this hit on the weekend; it would be miserable at work.

Much love,
PK the Bookeemonster

No comments: