Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Tuesday 081908

Steve's appointment with the diabetic (internist) doctor went mostly well this morning. I was glad I went along and, no, I didn't stay quiet because Steve was very much glossing over things to put the best spin on his behavior. I could tell at times that he was getting irritated with me for giving more information than he wanted and I was sure he was going to be mad at me when we left but he didn't really seem to be by the time we did leave. Dr. Julian Gnecco was foreign in accent and young-ish though not overly so -- of course, as I get older, the age thing is skewing younger. I'd say he's in his 30s. This appointment was more a getting information and a baseline. They didn't tell us to prepare for any blood work or other lab work so he hadn't fasted so he'll do that in the next couple days. What do I want out of this? Well, Steve has pretty much coasted for 20 years on how he's dealt with his diabetes. He's been very cavalier about it. This is a totally treatable condition but as he gets older he's got to start paying better attention. I want him to take the insulin dosage his blood sugar measurements indicate -- that means taking daily blood sugar measurements. That's it. I'm not asking for more than that. I just want accuracy in his medication based on that not on what he thinks. And with that, I believe his mood swings will lessen.

I took back the laptop Internet stuff today. It was fun to be able to use it anywhere but I guess peace in the family is more important. The cost I could have absorbed since the cell phone bill is going to the business now, but I can see that it would be better to spend that money in better ways. It was just a splurge for myself.

I think I only have some puffiness around the left eye. Still a little itchy. But I'm going to go drug free today to see if anything is interfering that way so I can completely get rid of this thing. Still stuffy in the sinus. Zit is going away on the lower lip. Is normal around the corner?

I had a strange dream right before waking up. I was apparently with a friend and the phone rang. It was a female telemarketer and I was mad at her: did she know how rude it was to call at 10 minutes to 6 in the morning? And then the alarm went off and it was 6 in the morning; time to get up.

Work: Still plugging away on the playbill contributors list. I hope to finalize that today. Sandi said she's taking a sick day today because she has Will all day but she's still here.

Reading: Currently reading DEATH'S HALF ACRE by Margaret Maron. Here's the Booklist blurb:
In the fourteenth installment of her Judge Deborah Knott series, Maron highlights the tensions of new real-estate development as longtime rural residents cope with the changes brought by farms giving way to sprawling houses and big-box chain stores. When county commissioner Candace Bradshaw is murdered, some see it as her comeuppance for brokering under-the-table deals between developers and certain county commissioners. Others, however, such as Candace's much older ex-husband, know that Candace grew up dirt poor and had an almost physical need for luxurious possessions. Deborah's new husband, Sheriff Dwight Bryant, investigates the murder, and surprising revelations emerge about just how Deborah was appointed judge. In addition, Maron introduces a satisfying subplot about Deborah's father, Kezzie, a former major-league bootlegger who has never lost his taste for the big con.

The first line reads: "Easter Morning. Inside the windowless Church of Jesus Christ Eternal, the Easter Sunday sermon is coming to a close." I like this series for the character of a female judge and life around her huge family. It is interesting to peek into Southern life though I don't think I could or would want live there.

TV: Probably The First 48 on A&E. Must read the paper and the Maron.

I should make a hair appointment for Friday. I haven't had it cut since February because I'm trying to grow it out a bit. But it needs to look good for the concert September 13th and it doesn't look good right now. I'm getting tired of putting it in ponytails so I won't go crazy. It has to happen soon.

I also need to send in the letter to MNA. I should work on that today.

It's supposed to get to 99 today and 77 on Thursday. How's that for temperature differences? Hot hot hot today. I wonder if I could make Tug wait until walking at 8 when it has a chance of being SLIGHTLY cooler? That dog looooooves his walk and wants to do it immediately when I get home.

I'm glad we're not going to Denver this weekend for the baptism. I just want a quiet weekend at home doing my stuff.

More later if anything occurs to me....

Much love,
PK the Bookeemonster

No comments: