Monday, August 25, 2008

082508

So, update on the eyes, I'm feeling very close to normal. Yay!

Work: the playbill has taken over all of our lives. Working on the orchestra schematic to match with new orchestra configuration and Sponsor-A-Chair donations. Also, each one of us is taking a turn at proofreading a mock up of the playbill. I, of course, am the Punctuation Police. I actually found a few typos after two others took a run at it.

Reading: I picked up a hold today at the library, A FOREIGN AFFAIR by Caro Peacock (more on that another day) and a couple nonfiction books. I'm currently reading THE MERLOT MURDERS by Ellen Crosby. This is the first of a series of three so far set in the wine country of Virginia. Here is the blurb from Publisher's Weekly:
Like a fine wine, Crosby's debut is complex and intricate. Lucie Montgomery, an American ex-pat who's been holed up in France for two years, returns to her family's vineyard in the Virginia countryside after the death of her father in a supposed hunting accident. Once home, Lucie discovers that the vineyard is collapsing under huge debt; her brother, Eli, has turned into a materialistic jerk; her little sister has taken up with Lucie's ex; and her godfather, Fitz, has become a lush. When, on the heels of papa Montgomery's funeral, Fitz is found dead, Lucie's suspicions are stoked. These deaths were no accident, and suspects abound. Crosby, a freelance reporter for the Washington Post, has seamlessly woven in details about wine making and interesting historical tidbits about Thomas Jefferson's (unsuccessful) efforts to establish a wine industry in early Virginia.
The first paragraph of the book reads:
I have always been fascinated by alchemy, though I draw the line at black magic. My family owns a vineyard at the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains in Virginia and I am sure there is both magic and chemistry involved in transforming grapes into wine. Not as impossible as changing lead to gold, but nevertheless, no mean feat, particularly if you believe -- as I do -- in Galileo's definition of wine as sunlight held together by water.

Her author website is at http://www.ellencrosby.com/ where she's got interesting information about her background -- quite extensive in journalism. Very cool. I'm liking this book; I didn't want to put it down last night but finally did around 10:30 because of getting up for work this morning. It is a bit cosy-ish in that the protagonist is an amateur sleuth with little police involvement but it is not in a flighty breezy irritating way. I'd like to finish it tonight but....

TV: Oh yi yi, it's tv night. Of course, the regulars - The Closer, Jon & Kate Plus 8 and Paranormal State, but the DNC Convention coverage starts tonight and I MUST watch. So much material and potential there -- JodyO and I will have much to talk/email about, hehehe. And I've got to be able to listen to the radio during the day (Sandi cannot stand music or anything playing) so that will be a trick.

It's H.O.T. today. Supposed to be 99 today. Walking the beast will not be fun. Tomorrow, though it is only supposed to get to 76. Ready for Fall, I am.

Steve is going to do his lab work tomorrow morning therefore he needs to fast overnight so I need dinner to be substantial enough to last him the night but it also being so hot out, I don't want to add heat to the kitchen unnecessarily. I'm thinking of picking up Rocket burritos.

Well, more later if anything occurs....

Much love,
PK the Bookeemonster

No comments: