Friday, August 1, 2008

Friday 080108

Work: Moved a file cabinet into my office so I can start to build donor files. The Symphony does not have individual physical files of their constituents, unbelievable. So I'm starting from scratch as I go. Otherwise, to be honest, I'm not feeling overly ambitious today; I've accomplished my week's goals. I got out three grants and 60+ renewal letters. Good thing -- or probably contributing to my lack of ambition today -- it's a short day. We're done at 1:00.

Reading: Finished A SEASON FOR THE DEAD. I enjoyed it but it had some negatives that I hope is only a feature of "first-book-itis." It was very much like a pilot episode of a tv show in which you pretty much blow your wad on stuff happening in order to hook the tv people into buying it. I'll give examples but be aware of SPOILERS AHEAD SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS DON'T READ THE REST OF THIS PARAGRAPH IF YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW DETAILS OF THIS BOOK SPOILERS SPOILERS : In this book, Costa's partner is killed by the bad guy, sleeps with the girl and then she leaves the country, his father dies, he has a showdown with his boss, he quits-he returns, etc., etc. END SPOILER. What is left except to start over with the character in the next book? You could argue that he had to go through all that in order to mature into the man he is supposed to become but there's little left of the world building the author wrote. Everything that was established, isn't there anymore. I will read the next in the series because I like the setting of current day Rome and I like police procedurals but it has to be pretty impressive.

Now I'm reading FINAL THEORY by Mark Alpert. It's the first book for him, I believe. Here's the first line: "Hans Walther Kleinman, one of the great theoretical physicists of our time, was drowning in his bathtub." Here's the blurb from Publisher's Weekly:

Alpert's exciting debut takes the premise that Albert Einstein succeeded in discovering a unified field theory, but hid the result, fearing it could lead to weapons far more powerful than the atom bomb. In the present day, several contenders—the U.S. government, a savage mercenary bent on revenge, various scientists—all scramble to uncover the theory. Theoretical physicist Hans Kleinman, once one of Einstein's assistants, is tortured by an intruder who demands he divulge the theory. Columbia University professor David Swift is at Kleinman's bedside when the old man makes a few cryptic statements, imparts a string of numbers and then dies. Soon David is off and running for his life, as all the theory seekers give chase. David stays one step ahead with the help of the beautiful Monique Reynolds, another physicist.
The book's author has a good voice going so far, which is very important in hooking a reader. I don't think it will take long to read. Still listening to THE MESSENGER by Daniel Silva.

TV: Today starts the Turner Classic Movie channel a star a day and his/her movies -- Summer Under the Stars. First up is Michael Caine who was rather good looking in his younger days. Oh, if only it all could be recorded. But then I'd have to find the time to watch and we all know how bad I am at that. Ah well. They're showing Sleuth, The Eagle Has Landed, Battle of Britain, A Bridge Too Far, Zulu, Alfie, Get Carter and a couple others. I would be such a couch potato for all of these. Tomorrow it is the films of Charlie Chaplin and then Gregory Peck on Sunday.

I said I was going to list the books I'm anticipating in August. Without further ado:
* Michael Kortya - ENVY THE NIGHT (Aug. 5)
* Priscilla Royal - FORSAKEN SOUL (Aug 10th)
* Rose Melikan - THE BLACKSTONE KEY (Aug 5)
* Elizabeth Peters - LAUGHTER OF DEAD KINGS (a Vicky Bliss at last!!) (Aug 19)
* Alafair Burke - ANGEL'S TIP (Aug 19)
* Margaret Maron - DEATH'S HALF ACRE (Aug 20)
* Louis Bayard - THE BLACK TOWER (Aug. 26th)

I've got holds on most except the Peters which I'm going to buy because it's the first Vicky Bliss in a gabillion years, for heaven's sake. :) Excellently fun series if you've never read it.

Steve and I are supposed to go cell phone shopping this afternoon. It will depend on his schedule, of course. I'll be calling him first. Otherwise, this afternoon I need to walk Tug. I also need to get groceries at Walmart but I could also do that tomorrow.

I was a little miffed at Steve last night. He said he was going to get his hair cut if Dave was available which I knew better than to tell him not to dawdle. I figured he'd be late so I wasn't as mad as I could have been but still he didn't get home until 8-8:30 with no phone call telling me it was going to be so long and of course I'm sure they just talked most of the time oblivious to anyone else. I was resigned beforehand to him coming later but he didn't prove me wrong. Sometimes it feels more like roommates than marriage. This week he's had Tuesday meeting, Wednesday shooting, and Thursday haircut. It's not like we spend a lot of time together together when we're both home but it would be nice to be considered. Ah well.

Yay, it's Friday!

Much love,
PK the Bookeemonster

No comments: