Monday, August 4, 2008

Monday 080408

I'm feeling better today. I've been taking vitamins and herbals and didn't wake up stuffed up like yesterday. Perhaps the cold or whatever it was has moved on. I hope so.

Well after seeing an email from an instructor telling the MNM list about her resignation, I got the nerve up today to email the head of the Nonprofit Management department at Regis University about my proposed class and to suggest that I teach it. I also mentioned that I could take up any slack in online classes that were created by the departure of another instructor. Instead of shooting me down immediately he emailed back to say he's out of the office until Thursday and would I call him to talk about it. Isn't that cool?! Wouldn't that be great? Extra money on the side. I'm excited.

Work: working on Sponsor a Chair stuff and generally getting my desk a little more organized for the week ahead's projects. TY letters soon.

TV: TV night for me. The Closer, Jon & Kate plus 8, and Paranormal State. I'm glad Jen won the HGTV Design Star show last night. Both would have done well but I had a little extra pull for her.

Reading: Started THE BLACKSTONE KEY by Rose Melikan last night. I've gone past the 50 page point but I don't know yet about it. It is a debut novel but written as a VERY old fashioned 19th century gothic novel. Here's the blurb:

In Melikan's lively, intelligent debut, set in England in 1795, genteel Mary Finch welcomes the chance to escape Mrs. Bunbury's academy, where she teaches young ladies, and visit White Ladies, her wealthy uncle Edward's Suffolk estate. En route, the unconventional Mary, who has a strong interest in the law, meets a dying stranger who in best gothic fashion gives her a mysterious warning. At White Ladies, Mary hopes to resolve some conflict between her father and her uncle, but soon becomes embroiled in smuggling intrigue. The unusual men she encounters include West Indian planter Paul Déprez, who fled to England after the French overran his plantation, and Captain Holland, an impoverished artillery officer. In the end, Mary must use her intuition to assess the motives of the people around her—and her special knowledge to try to upset a French plot. Readers will eagerly look forward to the second and third volumes in this historical trilogy.

The first line reads: "The clock at Great St. Mary's Church in Cambridge tolled the half hour on a gray, gloomy October morning in the year 1795." Atmospheric, no? And a trilogy, hmmm.

I'll get home, walk Tug, deal with dinner and cleanup, and do some tv. Read a little before bed. Such a routine I have.

Much love,
PK the Bookeemonster

No comments: